considering s100 or s95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor, Apologies if you thought the post was aimed at you alone, it was not.

My point is in today's world people go on and on and on about the gear...........It will continue to change but that doesn't mean what's out now is "bad" (whatever that is.)

It's all damn good and "measurbating" (not my term, but coined somewhere on the internet) has become more the norm than talking about taking photos.

I've refrained from really sharing my opinions when I see crap posted about a piece of equipment, use of it, etc. because I am normally a happy, nice guy :) Too many nasty debates in cyberspace and my post was only to illustrate showing someone knows what they're talking about.

When I see photos all blue, nothing even remotely filling 2/3 of the frame, or totally OOF (out of focus) I can't believe people don't assume the poster knows nada' about taking an underwater photo. But instead they seem to trust those how post lots of comments.

Not everyone gets great results straight away while learning which is why I sparingly participate to help people.

But many times I have to ask myself why bother :(

So no harm, no foul...........If someone wants to believe that buying the newest model will leapfrog their photos so be it.......

I'll contend UW photo technique and time in the water will always trump the equipment.

YMMV

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

PS - Interceptor, the dolphins are very nice plus the clownfish shots. Let's see more !

Dhaas am totally with you on that

I use to say that if you don't know how to take a good picture on land in manual don't bother taking pictures underwater
In fact good technique makes the most of equipment and people shooting in auto with a dSLR make me sad
The pictures you see have been taken with an Ixus 65 and a powershot A570IS no major equipment
Am looking forward to testing my S95 in the sea instead I my bathtub or the pool! As soon as I have something I will post
Right now have cancelled 3 weekends of Uk diving because of weather but early June am in st lucia will post then

Still I don't mind helping fellow photo junkies with what I found out for myself, I hope they use the experience and shoot some good pictures!!

super thank guys! Im leaning more towards the s100

I dont know if I should start another thread but here it goes.
For those of you with the canon or ikelite housing do you regret not getting the Fix or recsea housing from the 1st time.
do the lack of rear dial control is a big problem?
Thanks!

You can still use the rear controls in the Ikelite housing (just have to press "S" button + left/right on wheel). Though there's nothing inherently wrong with my Ikelite, if I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the recsea.

I think you need to make other considerations for the selection of the housing. If you want to add a fisheye lens and a strobe it will actually cost LESS to buy a fisheye fix housing and their compatible lens than to add all the pieces to an ikelite

So it looks like you make a saving at the beginning but once you add all the pieces you end up spending more

super thank guys! Im leaning more towards the s100

I dont know if I should start another thread but here it goes.
For those of you with the canon or ikelite housing do you regret not getting the Fix or recsea housing from the 1st time.
do the lack of rear dial control is a big problem?
Thanks!

yep I plan to get a fisheye and macro lenses.
would i need another one too? or i can take regular pics with just the housing
are the fix and recsea housing the same one
I want to use wet lenses

fisheye and diopter are fine. With the housing only all you can take reasonable are extreme close up and macro
Anything else you will either lack the field of view of the colour hence you need strobe and lenses...

You can still use the rear controls in the Ikelite housing (just have to press "S" button + left/right on wheel). Though there's nothing inherently wrong with my Ikelite, if I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the recsea.

is that how you adjust shutter speed? i still haven't been able to adjust shutter speed in the canon or ike housings...while in manual, that is...and i thought i had already tried "S" + L/R buttons.

That used to work on the old SD990

I don't know what you have been drinking but must be good as I thought I was hallucinating :D

The S+left right does not work on the S90/95/100 in fact I have a user menu in CHDK to overcome the problem in case the read dial gets stuck or is difficult to operate with gloves

I though I had been wasting my time but it looks like I haven't

Last edited:
Before choosing a housing for your camera or rather camera/housing combo, you should look at the lenses you would like to use then work backwards from there.

There is no point in considering a housing that will ultimately not play well with the lens/lenses you want to use.

The choice of lenses will narrow down the choice of housings.

The wrong choice of housing will narrow down your choice of lenses.

Back
Top Bottom