Console vs Wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use both. Each have their perks. Neither is the "wrong" choice.

For the record, some of those around you will be annoyed if they have to listen to the thing beep at you. The rest of us will strongly consider making you part of a brand new artificial reef if we have to listen to it.

ROFL!!!!

Well, I solo dive as well so... meh, only the fish will get annoyed with me. When I teach, I don't wear a computer. :wink:

That's hardly a foregone conclusion, and there have been plenty of threads addressing that specific issue. Suffice to say that knowing how many PSI you have left doesn't change the PSI you have left. My take on it is throw the standard SPG in your bag along with the requisite tools if you must, so you can swap between dives. Otherwise, get over it or stop diving AI. There isn't a shred of evidence that one is inherently more reliable than the other, and you don't see anyone saying 'Of course, whenever you're using one standard SPG, you must have another standard SPG as a backup."

I was referring to an Air Integrated wrist computer, not an on the hose computer. The transmitters can be flakey and I've been on plenty of dives where the transmitter cuts out mid dive. So its nice to have an SPG, they don't take up any space and its nice to have a backup.

IDK about you, but the more backup's the merrier! I've got backup's for my backups! :)

I was a die hard "must be in a console" person. Then, with doing some video, I realized how convenient it was to have the necessary information on my wrist. Add in deep stops, and safety stops in surging water or current while on the mooring line - that free hand became even more valuable....

I'm sure consoles have a beneficial situation, but its wrist for me (for now).... always evaluating, always adapting..

O.k., let's say you are deploying a SMB @ a safety stop and need to monitor your depth and time while using both hands to deploy the SMB.........What do you do?

We have a team member/buddy responsible for monitoring depth & time while the other shoots the DSMB.

That being said, I have switched from an AI console to a non-AI wrist mount mainly because the information is easier to access on my wrist (not that a console is difficult) and it leaves a hand free.

My preferred set-up: Non-AI computer on right wrist; SPG clipped to D-ring on the upper left side of BC;
compass on left wrist.

Upside: Streamlined; info always right in front; easy to hang for safety stops with left hand on deflator button and right wrist monitoring depth and time; easy to take to room if overnighting.

Downside: Can be easy to leave computer in car/room or forget to strap to wrist before entry. (Pre-dive check fixes this issue.) I leave it on a D-ring when not in the water.

I haven't seen mention of another issue. If your console computer dies on you:
1. if you are diving, your dive is over because you no longer have air pressure and depth. However, with a wrist mount and spg, you could very possibly have continued your dive if you planned your profile in advance, followed it, and know what is necessary to stay within NDL.
2. if you are on a trip, you will probably have to switch reg sets unless you can borrow/buy an spg to replace your console.

This is from bad experience. My console died on me while on a trip. I'm now switching over to spg and ai wristmounted computer.

Last edited:
It is all personal preferance. I have seen more than one wrist mounted dive computer recovered from the ocean floor. The last one had recorded a dive of 96 hours. Seems to me the wrist mounted ones are too easy to lose.

I still have both and use both but not at the same time, just depends which of my equipments I am diving and the particular dive. Computer goes on left forearm, watch on left wrist. If I have a depth gauge or compass it may also reside on the left arm. I try to keep my right arm free of encumbrances since it usually is occupied with my camera rigs. I have and still occasionally use an old, rubber, Scubapro two hole mini console which contains a brass and glass SPG and a Tekna 0-230 feet depth gauge, altitude adjustable, zero adjustable with depth following. It is dead nuts accurate and rock reliable being all mechanical.

When I store my computer while on a trip I strap it around my regulator and it stays in the regulator bag, never gets lost or left that way. Gets rinsed along with the regulator. My console, when used instead of a lone spg, still clips to the left, waist D ring, no law says a console has to be left dragging and dangling, works fine.

N

I use a Cobalt console clipped to my right D ring. I can use my hands for my camera and still see my console. But I also use a VT 3 AI wrist mount as a backup. Sometimes during the dive just depending on body position the wrist mount is easier to look at, so it really depends. I've solved that by using both, and having both AI so one can go bad and I could still easily continue the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom