Contacts vs. Perscription Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

planecrazy29

Registered
Reaction score
Which would you rather do and why? I was just ruled out as a candidate for Lasik surgery so it looks like I will be in corrective lenses for good. So far I've been diving with my contacts without incident and it looks to me like this may be the way to go. Any reasons why this wouldn't be the case? Only ones I can think of are losing a contact if the mask floods and more prone to infection. The latter I came across in a contact brochure the said this is why you shouldn't swim in them. Thanks for any and all replies!

-Aaron

I have only been diving for 2 years but I have done every dive (70 to date) with my contacts in and have never had a problem. Worst case I lose one, not a big deal really. Plus the prescription mask costs $150+ :) Even swimming without the mask hasn't knocked one loose, yet!

I recently got my 14 year old niece certified. When I geared her up, we went with a mask with prescription lenses since she has not yet gotten contacts. We can not seem to get her mask to stop fogging no matter what we try. In theory, this should not be a problem since the lenses were not in place during the manufacturing or packaging of the mask. Even still, we have tried the usual scrubing with toothpaste, Softscrub and slate cleaner along with all different kinds of defog. I wish she would get contacts and dump the mask, but she is hesitant to try them. If this is common problem with prescrition masks, I would absolutely recommend staying with the contacts. Maybe we are doing something wrong, but I can't imagine what.

I've only been certified since September, but in my 39 dives, I've never lost a contact. That includes pool work where we had to flood the mask, and take off the mask. That also includes our open water certification dives, where we had to show proficiency flooding the mask and taking off the mask and putting it back on. For the most part, I just keep my eyes closed when that happens. Then my dive buddy pointed out to me that salie solution is a nerdy way to say salt water. So I practiced mask flooding and kept my eyes open. No problems. I wear disposables, so I have an extra pair in my "save-a-dive" kit in case I lose one. As far as infection goes, I'm sure it's possible. Following the typical rules for keeping the contacts clean will be important before and after diving. No cutting corners here.

I don't find it to be a big deal at all.

I've always used contacts when diving. Never lost one yet but always carry extras for emergencies. I'm practically blind without contacts so would hate to be on a boat and keep my snot filled mask on my face as I move around.

Oh, yeah, contacts all the way. No glasses to carry and store and mess with. No blind diver between mask removal and finding the glasses. Mask off at surface (MOF!) and I can see perfectly. And most of all, no looking Poindexter-ish with those coke-bottle circles in the mask that make your eyes look like they are down the wrong end of a telescope. Very uncool. eyebrow

I'm so glad to hear that there are people who wear contacts. I have been scolded from my "dive mentor" for wearing them... but now I feel vindicated! Thanks!!!

WPBdiver:
If this is common problem with prescrition masks, I would absolutely recommend staying with the contacts.
I have a ScubaPro CrystalVu mask with the prescription lenses put in and it works very well. I don't think twice about my mask when I dive. (I never even considered contacts because I was told by a doctor once that I wouldn't be a good candidate for them.)

Anyway, I don't have a fog problem at all...... with my mask!

I haven't been on this board for too long, but I've seen this question come up before. I'll be glad to cast a vote for the prescrition mask whenever needed.

WPBdiver:
I recently got my 14 year old niece certified. When I geared her up, we went with a mask with prescription lenses since she has not yet gotten contacts. We can not seem to get her mask to stop fogging no matter what we try. In theory, this should not be a problem since the lenses were not in place during the manufacturing or packaging of the mask. Even still, we have tried the usual scrubing with toothpaste, Softscrub and slate cleaner along with all different kinds of defog. I wish she would get contacts and dump the mask, but she is hesitant to try them. If this is common problem with prescrition masks, I would absolutely recommend staying with the contacts. Maybe we are doing something wrong, but I can't imagine what.
I used to have prescription lenses and had no more trouble with fogging than regular lenses. Maybe try scrubbing the whole mask not just the lenses, if you haven't already. Even though the lenses were added later I've heard the troublemaking stuff can migrate off the rest of the mask to the lenses if it isn't all cleaned. Can't hurt anyway.

Or maybe she is breathing out through her nose often, more than is needed to avoid mask squeeze. Sometimes a defog can only take so much.

huskychemist:
I practiced mask flooding and kept my eyes open.

This practice may work for you but I certainly would not advise a new diver that it was okay. The chances are they will be losing the contacts they are wearing.

-- Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom