Container Ship Grounds on Eden Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that area becomes off limits the dive op will have a serious problem unless they get another boat.

Jason are they allowing diving there now?

Thanks

If that area becomes off limits the dive op will have a serious problem unless they get another boat.

Jason are they allowing diving there now?

Thanks
They are allowing divers there now although I would caution anyone wanting to enter the damaged tunnel. There's significant damage near the top and some of this loose coral stone may still fall to the bottom. I'm only speculating that it could be off limits during the recovery process. Even then, the area could still be dived as all of the damage is confined north side of the Eden Rock mooring. Devil's Grotto was not affected.

Aren't they going to dredge or cover part of that area for the new cruise port?

One artist's rendering I saw shows it's pretty near the Eden Rock shop if it's correct.

Jason are you diving on the south side lately I am coming down next week and am looking to dive Armchair and Kents caves etc.

Thanks

John

Jason are you diving on the south side lately I am coming down next week and am looking to dive Armchair and Kents caves etc.

Thanks

John
Sounds like a plan John. I can't get enough of Kent's Caves, it's one of my favorites!

Drop me a line.

So sad. I know some on SB don't think much of the site but it holds fond memories for some of us.

Memories are not current reality. When I was there (about 2012 or 2013) both Eden and Devis's were dead rock with no fish. They were long gone before this happened.

Memories are not current reality.
Kharon, that cuts both ways. If I recall you were one that did not care much for GC and your diving experience there which is fine. While my memories date back to the early 80s, I was diving there more recently, in 12, 13,14 & 16, I think my most recent dive at Eden Rock was in '14. While admittedly not a pristine dive site, we enjoyed diving it especially on a quiet sunday morning with no cruise ships and G'Town quiet and empty. The swim throughs were the draw and the site had a nice onsite dive op and facilities. "Dead rock with no fish", that may be your memory which again is fine but I don't think that was the reality in 2012-2013. That certainly was not the case in 2014.

Last edited:
Memories are not current reality. When I was there (about 2012 or 2013) both Eden and Devis's were dead rock with no fish. They were long gone before this happened.
I've dived both sites the last 3 summers and they are great shore dives with nice swim throughs and a decent amount of fish. They are certainly not the best sites on the island, but I enjoy them and they are must dives every time we visit. This past year, we saw lots of fish including tons of tarpon, some puffers, large angelfish, a nurse shark, a reef shark as well as a few turtles. Here's two from this past July:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom