Contemplating a Scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

editmojo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a vacation diver looking for a inexpensive BC. The Scout seems to fit my needs: mostly warm water with a Rash guard or 3mm shorty for protection.

However I do live in Minnesota so, would the scout handle the occasional cold dive? I'm 5'-10" and 230lbs and carry 18-20lbs with an AL 80, 7mm full and hood.

Also could someone explain the weight integration? The "touch release" weight on the back in the product description seems vague to me. Would I be better off with a weight belt for the colder dives?

If your talking about the Scout with just the weight intergration on the back, they are basically trim pockets with velcro releases on the bottom and top. I have been diving a Scout for a good many years and find that much more than 10lbs TOTAL in the rear weight pockets tends to turtle me (make me go belly up) with a single AL-80. With 10 lbs or less it's fine and because I rarely use more than 10 lbs it's not an issue for me. You can always use them in conjunction with a weight belt if you need more weight. I occasionally dive with a dry suit and need around 25 lbs...10 goes in the Scout and 15 on a weight belt.
It's a great BC for it's intended purpose,a light weight tavel BC. If you need more weight on a regular basis one of the heavier duty BC's may be a better choice. For an occasional dive where you need more weight, adding a weight belt is always an option.

I've logged fifty odd dives with the Scout since last year. These were all warm water dives in "out of the way places", wearing a 3mm plus a 3mm vest w/ hood when it gets below 25°C. I don't need a whole lot of weight (2.5kg) and the rear pockets work great for me. Keep in mind that if you do need a lot of weight, you can't just take it out and hand it up on a boat. For the amount of weight I use I never found this to be a problem.

It works great and is so much lighter than my old BCD, which I was quite happy with, except for the weight. Only problem I had was that the shoulder dump valve was glued in off-center and some of the cordura was riding up on the thread, which in turn prevented to hose w/ dump valve not to be screwed on all the way and too leak, i.e. it wouldn't hold any air. That's why you do a check out dive with new gear, right? I little disappointing that the dive shop didn't catch that but it was easily fixed with a razor blade.

I would fully recommend the BCD. I slimmed down my kit so much that I was able to travel w/ 20kg checked luggage + carry-on. This includes a full scuba set, camera, UW housing, flash, UW light and a laptop. What a difference!

I used the Scout for OW and AOW. They were all quarry dives wearing 5mm suits and using about 16 pounds. Water temps were usually in the 50's once below the thermocline. It worked well. I was about 250-260 pounds at the time.

I used the Scout for OW and AOW. They were all quarry dives wearing 5mm suits and using about 16 pounds. Water temps were usually in the 50's once below the thermocline. It worked well. I was about 250-260 pounds at the time.

Were was you weight? Belt or bc?

No integrated weights in the ones we used. Had to use a belt. New ones maybe weight integrated.

Joe,

I got a new Scout last summer that I use for cold water here in Michigan. I wear 21 lbs with a 7mm farmer john/jacket etc. 12 lbs on a belt and 8 in the trim pockets. 1# goes on the tank yoke. This trims me well and, as I recall, I could swim on my side looking at a quarry wall without rolling.

Trying out a new 4/3 full suit in a pool I used the 9# in the trim pockets and on the tank yoke -just omitted the 12# belt. That was a bit uncomfortable - if I turned onto my side I tended to roll over. I think I need to move some weight to the belt for that wetsuit.

I have a 35# bladder on my Scout though. I ordered it from ST that way. It cost a little more but it's perfect for what I wanted.

one bc that hasn't been mentioned that you could look at is the Escape. still light weight for travel and has the "normal" weight integration that other manufacturers use. it's like the stiletto but with rip out weight pockets.

I'm still on the fence with weight integration. Rented a Seaquest jacket with integration for a week in Cozumel. It felt very bulky and nearly filled a suit case by itself. Recently used a Cressi sub jacket w/o integration and really liked it. Didn't mind the weight belt except to remember to put it on. (lame vacation divers) That same dive some of the guys had bp/wings and they seemed very compact. The Scout seems close to the bp/wing at half the cost. I'll need to try a back inflate before i decide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom