continental connection question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ms. Ann Thrope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We don't usually take Continental, but this time we will, originating in Chicago and transferring in Houston for the flight down to Cozumel. Our only option had a really tight (slightly less than an hour) layover. Generally, when we've flown anyone else, we haven't had to pass through security again to make it to the next gate. Not going through security makes it pretty likely we'll make our connection, since we're sitting on the aisle and plan to bolt. If we do have to do the TSA thing, well, we might be spending a day in Houston. Anyone have any idea what's typical as far as terminal changes for flights down to Cozumel?

You won't have to pass through security again going to Cozumel. I would try to get a seat as close to the front of the plane as possible on your first leg, so that you can be one of the first off in Houston. On the way back of course you will have to clear Customs at your first stop so you will need more than an hour to get cleared and back through security for your connection.

Generally, you should be fine on the flight down. The only things that could throw a wrench in would be weather or you're on one of the commuter planes that go into terminal B.

One other thing you might do is go back into the seat selector & upgrade to one of the bulkhead seats in row 7 or 8. There is a fee of $19 - $39 depending on the flight.....usually the domestic connection will be in the $19 range. We usually do that for the IAH to CZM leg also to get a jump on the immigration line. The extra legroom of those seats is worth the upgrade in itself.

Mike

We often do the Austin-Houston-Coz trip. Going we've had connections as short as 35 minutes and made it no problem, but I usually feel more comfortable if we have closer to an hour. As noted above, coming back you need to go thru Passport Control then Customs. Depending on the number of international planes arriving around the same time, this can be a real bear, and we our comfort zone is around 2 hours. (Although we did once make a 55 minute connection by the skin of our teeth!)

budaman

Generally, you should be fine on the flight down. The only things that could throw a wrench in would be weather or you're on one of the commuter planes that go into terminal B.​

You perfectly described my situation last time. I was on one of the regional jets that flew into Terminal 'B'. The plane pushed out "on time" then we sat by the gate for about 10min before we taxied and took off but we did arrive right on time. My screw up was that I was carrying on a camera in a pelican case (valid carry on size). But the regionals have smaller overheads so they had to plane side check. No big deal (although I hate doing that). The problem is that even though I had a seat up front it did me no good as my bag was like the 34th one to come out at the jetway. Then I ran, took the tram, ran, etc. So my 52 min layover took all of that time. The plane (another continental flight) was waiting for me with everyone seated and ready to go. Then it was no fun finding an overhead that was empty....

Short version - if you're on a regional and have carry-ons that may not fit it can take another 10-15 min to get them back.

I vowed to give myself at least another 30 minutes if possible when going through Houston and having to go from 'B' to the Intl terminal - a lot less stress that way.

Otherwise, I think an hour will work okay, especially if it's the same airline for the next flight. You just might be sweating a little when you sit down!

Going down you should be ok, it is when you are coming back and have to deal with customs/immigration that you need the extra time.
When flying to CZM Houston is our preferred airport if a layover is inevitable. Better than Atlanta and of course anything is better than DFW.

Thanks for the input. Our flight coming back is a bit more generous with the layover, so I'm not worried about that side. Although last time we flew another airline we don't usually use, the combo of the short connection time, customs and a long TSA line made the trip home uncomfortably tight as well.

I wish we were flying through Miami! I love that Cuban cafeteria--Las Carretas? I'd happily schedule a couple extra hours there just for that.

You must be the only person I've ever found that likes flying through Miami! The one time I went there I found it dismal and depressing. They also have the worst reputation for theft from checked bags. IAH seems to be pretty efficient for a big airport, although my favorite airport is still Austin. Not because it's home but it's a small, compact, clean, easy in-easy out airport. I wish we could get to Coz direct from Austin, but the only times that's been available is when FunJet is running flights out in the summer months, and we don't usually travel to Coz then.

Ann-
Sounds like the flight we took down last month, only we originated in Seattle... Seattle-Chicago-Houston-Coz. Such a hassle to get down there since Alaska stopped flying to Cancun!:depressed:

Anyway, no problem with the connection in Houston. We had enough time to grab some breakfast, even though we were seated at the baaaack of the plane. Even more time on the way home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom