Continuous Gas Mixer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The compressor intake is 1/2". The mixer and tubing is 3/4". I am in the midst of modifying it a little to shorten the length of hose between the mixer and the compressor. I haven't noticed any drop in the performance of the compressor. I also didn't see any difference in the temp of the heads. The highest I ever saw was about 180 degrees when I had a really rich helium mix. Around 70%, but that's another story :wink: The temps are usually in the 160 to 170 degree range.

btw, a 6 element is all that is really needed, so my stick is a little overkill. These things are really designed for fluids and other materials that have much higher viscosities, so I'm not too worried about increased resistance.

The only reason I used one is my time is worth a lot more to me than the time too build one from scratch. All I really have to do is screw the threaded ends together and drill a couple of holes in some PVC plugs. It was a no brainer for me to select the easier route.

Uncle Pug:
The inline static mixer looks like it would cause at least some drag on the incoming gases as it has about the same ID as the intake on the compressor. Is this the case? Have you checked your system with a vacuum gauge with and without the mixer in place?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom