Controlled Buoyant Lift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took Rescue years ago and believe I was taught to completely deflate the victim's BC and use your own. Since then I've read a lot of opinions on which way to go. Having air in 2 BCs doesn't seem too logical. Using the victim's BC seems not quite as simple. I would guess there are several ways to get the job done.

I was taught to use the victims BC ,so that if separation were to occur, they would continue on to the surface rather than sink back down. I agree however your way to accomplish it would be fine...certainly better than not trying at all.

Last edited:
Yeah why hurry, there are many better reasons to rush things. Take your time, The diver can always get a transplant if things go south.

Its interesting the double standards and selective quotes showing a particular bias.

Do tell between having a brain damaged victim or a brain damaged victim AND a dcs hit rescuer you recommend option 2?

Suicidal tendencies seem to be frowned upon elsewhere on the forums except with rescues it seems.

How often will you be at a diver or find a diver in the water within milliseconds of them passing out? To hit that golden 30s mark to resuscitate with an ascent. Or is it more likely you arrive minute (s) later? Slow rescue beats no rescue

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Its interesting the double standards and selective quotes showing a particular bias.

Do tell between having a brain damaged victim or a brain damaged victim AND a dcs hit rescuer you recommend option 2?

Suicidal tendencies seem to be frowned upon elsewhere on the forums except with rescues it seems.

How often will you be at a diver or find a diver in the water within milliseconds of them passing out? To hit that golden 30s mark to resuscitate with an ascent. Or is it more likely you arrive minute (s) later? Slow rescue beats no rescue

The options are actually;

1. Dead diver or
2. Possibly two bent divers with an albeit slim chance of survival for the unconscious one and a very good chance of complete recovery for the rescuer.

Only the rescuer can decide under the circumstances they are presented with whether or not they want to run the risk of DCI. There are too many variables to specify just how much of a risk that is.

However, the simple fact is that every additional second spent underwater with no resuscitation efforts applied decreases the chance of survival for the unconscious diver. As danvolker says; a slow rescue is just recovering the body.

If you have absolutely no intention of bringing your buddy to the surface in an emergency in any manner that causes risk to you then you should tell them that before the dive because they are, in effect, solo diving.

The options are actually;
1. Dead diver or

So anything slower than what will be guaranteed death since your first point seemed quite hazy? 10? 20? 30? 60 meters a minute? Definitely? Apologies but i'd like to see the study for that before i'll acquiesce to immutable facts such as this. And what ascent rate was definite death now? Just so I can write it down since you seem to be quite experienced in ascent mortality it seems

Let me be clear,I'm not disagreeing that a faster ascent may garner more positive results. I am however disagreeing that you either go like a ballistic missile or leave the victim entirely to either die/stay there or be assisted by somebody more inclined to rapid ascents

You are talking like a solo diver that comes upon a body out of no-where, as they swim down a reef.....

Many of us here on SB, are either in buddy teams where you would instantly ( 1 to 5 seconds) see the unconsciousness occur...or for many others, engaged in a Group dive with from 4 to 9 divers--and where if any useful peripheral awareness exists--you would see the diver blackout within 1 to 5 seconds of the occurrence.....and....from 60 to 100 feet, a polaris missile ascent style ascent does not necessaruly mean that the rescuing diver will be bent--in fact, more times than not, nothing bad would happen at all to them, barring any medical health problems of the rescuer. You can't automatically assume that the blackout would occur in the final minute of a no-deco dive, and that a high speed ascent would be dangerous.....
There is also the large number of recreational divers that have experienced accidental polaris missile ascents because they were poor divers( rather than on purpose in an emergency) --and with a great many in this group experiencing NO DCS.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 06:29 PM ----------

Was just thinking...if this was the 1700's, we could all be arguing about how many angels we could fit on the head of a pin ! :)

There will never be any definitive answer, because the risk/benefit of rushing to the surface has so many variables depending on the depth, the time the rescuer has been at depth, how long the rescuer believes the diver has likely been out, who the victim is, and many other factors. You can be sure that I would "hurry" the ascent as fast as I thought reasonable, unless I knew the diver was dead.

I recovered a overdue diver I knew pretty well off the bottom. But when I found him, he had a head wound and was overdue for 45 minutes. I unclipped his dive light and moved it to my BC so it would be easier to bring his body on board, I checked his pressure gauge, I tried to make mental notes of my observation of the scene and even breathed from his reg to test it... all before I started a sloooow ascent.

Another diver freaked out on descent to 60 feet and spit her reg and would not accept mine. So she was conscious, but not breathing at depth. I kicked us to the surface as fast as my legs would carry us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom