Controversial Exp. with MDA, Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill,

The answer to your question will be found in the first line of my post of 14 Jan 2009.

Cheers,

Carl Bostek

Jeffdiver's post raised a few pertinent questions before ANYONE can believe a word of what was stated:

1. Why so vague about the job Jeffdiver holds that can influence politics in the diving realm? If MDA had pressured this individual so much that contact was cut after a "second attempt", then I think it is rather important to state what job this individual holds that has so much influence.

2. Why did Jeffdiver not state who the Master Diver was that put so much pressure to exert the influence Jeffdiver supposedly had? Also Jeffdiver stated that there is a main contact person...who is this individual? Why so unwilling to state who they are? Especially when Jeffdiver seems so concerned with letting the SCUBA diving world know just how bad MDA treats its customers. I know in this type of situation, I would ensure that specific instances were cited as well as which individuals treated me so poorly. Jeffdiver obviously knew who these individuals were; as stated by the recontact conducted with the unnamed Master Diver and the use of some so called main contact, yet these individuals remain mysteriously unnamed...

Jeffdiver stated that the job Jeffdiver has offers some ability to influence the diving community. It seems hard to believe, again when this blog is articulated so poorly. Therefore, I must assume that Jeffdiver is either an employee of GTDS and is attempting to discredit MDA, or is an individual that got bored and just wanted to make up the whole story.

I've just started SCUBA diving on Guam; my wife and I talked to both GTDS and MDA. GTDS just gave us the impression that they didn't have time to certify us; however, MDA "opened big arms without any prejudice..." This guy is going to stick with MDA.

I think it's all a bit moot at this point :D The original post was made almost 5 years ago. According to the other posts in the thread both business' have experienced a change in ownership and management since then :)

I dived with MDA in December 2007 during a visit to Guam. My main complaint was their refusal to sign me up for diving during the week, unless I provided a buddy (despite their website saying they offer daily boat dives). The reason given was that dives during the week were "reserved" for Japanese tourists.

This was no problem for Monday and Tuesday, but my buddies (did I mention they were Japanese and I live in Japan?) had an earlier flight than me and couldn't dive on Wednesday morning (they had early morning flight back to Tokyo, I had a late afternoon flight). Fortunately I met someone while I was there who offered to go diving with me, so I was able to provide a buddy :)

Other than that, no issues. Prices were reasonable, and everyone was helpful and professional :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom