Convert Mares MR12 to DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rev. Blade

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm fairly new to SCUBA (less than 30 dives), but have already tumbled down the road of buying all my own gear. All I have left to get (for required gear) is a tank. (I wouldn't be surprised if, after time, I discover additional things to buy. :$: ) Most of the downside I'm hearing about going High Pressure with DIN valves, seem to be related to cost. My main questions are:

1) Whether a Mares MR12 Proton regulator (set up by the factory for US standard K-valve) is suitable for conversion to DIN, or it's too much pressure for the first stage?

2) I found a converter on eBay, and wonder if a converter for the V16 will work on my MR12? The Mares website uses the same downloadable .pdf file for the instructions on both, but does not say which, if any, parts are interchangeable.) ...and since I'm trusting y'all for advice, I guess I can trust you with a link to the adapter. Is this what I want? (Please don't buy it, if it'll work for me.)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2702233437&category=16056

Any thoughts or concerns before I convert? What about other adapters to use my converted regulator with standard K-valve tanks? One of my buddies converted his reg to DIN, and now he carries an adapter (to fit on his adapter) that allows him to use a K-valve tank. For dive trips where I bring my own tank, is there an adapter to fill a DIN valved tank at a shop that is only set up to fill K-valve tanks?

I suppose I ought to rent more tank configurations before I buy, but I hate spending money on rentals, of something I'm going to buy.

The "new guy" at the LDS says all the Mares 1st stages use the same DIN adapter. Now I'm bummed out, 'cause the adapter sold for $20., including shipping! Good deal for the guy who bought it.

I get to keep lookin'. :(

Since no one else posted to this thread, I'll just edit to keep it from moving back to the top....

I found another adapter on ebay to switch my K first stage to DIN. I bought it from a guy who wanted to use it to convert his V16. He said it didn't work. I guess the moral of the story is that even an LDS can give incorrect information. Anyway, in case someone was doing a search, and found this thread, I wanted to note that (according to the guy who sold me one) the the V16 and MR12 do not use the same DIN adapter. I suppose another explaination was that the guy who sold me his, just couldn't figure out how to attach it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom