Converting a gauge to a bungee mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JollyWaffl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What's the best way to convert an Uwatec Digital gauge from wrist mount with watch type strap to a bungee mount? I've found one person who suggested cutting the straps off and widening the hole to fit a bungee. I've also seen bungee ready mounts sold online, but I can't figure out how to detach the current strap without destructive force. There's an "open" and "close" marking with directional arrows on the bottom, but nothing to turn in those directions... :confused:

Am I missing something obvious?

I would recommend the mount made by Deep Sea Supply. If I remember correctly the cost is around $8 or so for the Uwatec mount (photo below).

I've included two photos of my Vytec mount so you can see the general look/quality of it - the Uwatec mount would be very similar.

Note: You supply your own bungie/shock cord.

Attachments

• 60004_IMAGE_LARGE.jpg
    60004_IMAGE_LARGE.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG6855.JPG
    IMG6855.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG7528.jpg
    IMG7528.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Right, DSS are some of the ones I found. You pop in the gauge and attach a bungee, correct?

Problem I have is that my gauge looks like the first attached photo, whereas I assume I'll need it to look like the second. The structure attaching to the wrist straps is in the way, and I haven't yet figured out how to get it off. Think I might be able to cut it off, but I consider that a last resort.

Attachments

• uwatec.jpg
    uwatec.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 122
  • capsule.jpg
    capsule.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 83
Right, DSS are some of the ones I found. You pop in the gauge and attach a bungee, correct? ***Yes***

Problem I have is that my gauge looks like the first attached photo, whereas I assume I'll need it to look like the second. The structure attaching to the wrist straps is in the way, and I haven't yet figured out how to get it off. Think I might be able to cut it off, but I consider that a last resort.

1) Soak the unit in warm (not hot) water for a few minutes.

2) Hold the gauge with both hands - straps pointing away from you - then push with the heels of your hands where the staps (both sides) connect to the mount bringing your hands together. This should then pop out the timer. (Copied from an Internet thread I had saved - I could not think of a better way to describe how to remove it)

1) Soak the unit in warm (not hot) water for a few minutes.

2) Hold the gauge with both hands - straps pointing away from you - then push with the heels of your hands where the staps (both sides) connect to the mount bringing your hands together. This should then pop out the timer. (Copied from an Internet thread I had saved - I could not think of a better way to describe how to remove it)

Yep that did it! Lukewarm water and a bit of elbow grease. Popped out on one side, and was then trivial to remove.

Thanks!

+1 for the DSS mounts. I wear 2 of the same bottom timers you have and a compass all in DSS mounts and they are great.

Cut the straps off and drill some holes (soldering iron does wonder), run the bungee cords through. Voila! Bungee mount.

That's what I did with my depth gauge (on the right).

LuckyPeakReservoirBoise010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom