Converting Metric to Imp.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AdTravels

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all,

As I'm heading of to Central America next week I was wondering if they tend to use Metric or Imperial units when diving.
If it is mainly imperial is there an easy way to convert to metric.

I'm not too concerned over depth (I can do that one), it's the PSI thing I don't know. e.g. 200 bar = ?? psi Is there an easy way of doing this or should I just learn the equivalents.

Many thanks

Ad

Yes, just because the boat is using bar...doesn't mean you can't use PSI. However, 1 bar is equal to 14.5PSI (minor rounding taken into account there, it's actually about 14.503773773) but I believe 14.5 is a tad easier to work with =)

Is that I will be working out there. And I believe that it would be usefull and polite to be able to communicate with imperial as well as metric users.

Or to go roughly from bar to psi, multiply by ten and add half as much again. So, 200 times 10 is 2,000 and half of that is 1,000, giving a total of 3000.... 200bar is roughly 3000psi.

Zept

That's an even easier conversion Zept....works for me.

I just whipped out the TI-86 calculator that I haven't touched since my calculus and statistics days in school. It's got a whole nice little conversion menu on it that I can use to convert from any unit to any other unit of measure.

And, in regards to the start of this post, it would be really polite of you to be able to work in the same units of measure. After having lived in a few other countries myself (and had guests at my house) it is always nice when someone takes the effort to learn the local customs. It goes a long way!

good practice for a group of divers to NOT mix imperial and metric units because of the possible confusion. Right now i dive metric because i think metric, when doing shallow (<100') diving with friends, no caves wrecks or any of that stuff it's fine BUT if i am going to do anything beyond that in a group i'll be wise to use imperial if the rest of the group uses imperial. Standardization in that case is good, actually i think standardization is good period:boom: :D

Back
Top Bottom