Cool stuff to put in a quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
Have you thought of hitting a garage sale? Bicycles could probably be had fairly cheap. Telephones are always fun, even the old desktop rotary kind. Kids toys that are heavy enough to sink OR that have a place you can put sand to help weigh them down would be cheap garage sale finds. One of the coolest things I've seen in a quarry is a playground piece that looks like a space shuttle. You can actually pick it up, adjust your buoyancy and "fly" around on it.

Broken items that people put out for the trash would work as well, think tables, chairs, etc. Heck you could probably go tromping around in the woods just about anywhere and come up with some cool stuff people have trashed. A little bit of elbow grease can make found items nice enough to use at a dive site.

How about painting rocks? New divers could paint their own rock and you could set them in various places and do a navigation tour to find them.
Ber :lilbunny:

Isnt this called littering?........:D

northen diver:
Isnt this called littering?........:D

Some people throw out some nice things that just need minor repairs to be good as new. Naturally the nicer the neighborhood the less like "litter" these items will be :rofl3: For example, a refrigerator destined for the dump due to a bad motor would clean up nicely for a dive site, maybe you could even put magnets on it. Christmas trees that have been thrown out make great fish breeding grounds or secure them upright and decorate them :D There's some really interesting stuff in our neighbor's woods; we pulled a hand pump for a well out of the pile, it had about 8 feet of pipe attached. We're going to cut the pipe to about 3 feet, clean the whole thing up, paint it and put it in my flowerbed.
Ber :lilbunny:

Huge cement pipes (laid out on a bottom) - great as swim throughs, good for buoyancy. Can be short or long enough that they would not create too much of an overhead "hazard".

Has anyone suggested a very large hot water heater?

Brent

TravisD:
I would strongly suggest not adding any kind of living things to a quarry without some research and approval from your friendly neighborhood DNR types -- adding what may be a non-native or invasive species may be illegal at best, and environmentally devastating at worst.

How about zebra mussels? Just kidding.
Terri:D

Divin'Hoosier:
Marshall ... you're going to sink Petra in a quarry?! I think the Jordanians might be a little upset about that! :D

Why not just dam up the valley and make it into real dive spot!

Nope, this one is called Acapulco Lake just north of Fayeetville, NC. The place is owned by Cape Fear SCUBA. They use it for checkout dives.

Those shuttles are a ton of fun. You just set your buoyancy, sit on it and have someone push. My son loved his first ride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom