Coolest creatures you've seen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrillhouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What are the coolest underwater creatures you've come into contact with so far, and which do you hope to encounter in the future?

I've only done 14 dives so I can't say I've seen much cooler than Ling Cod and Lion's Mane Jellies. Still, I'd love to see manta rays, whale-sharks, giant Pacific octopuses, sperm whales (not sure if it's possible to dive with them), an enormous school of fish, and any of those huge ocean-going fish like tuna, preferably in a large school.

Let's hear some others.

Would it be wrong to say "myself?" :D

one of my Favorites was a juvenile, AND adult Sunfish(MolaMola) at the same time.....with 3 O/W students, we saw them at a safety stop after O/W dive 4.
It truly was an amazing sight.

I'm fascinated by sea cucumbers. I don't know why since they don't really do much and aren't what most people would call cute, but I love 'em. I have tons of pictures of them and even have one set as my wallpaper.

--Shannon

I'm fascinated by sea cucumbers. I don't know why since they don't really do much and aren't what most people would call cute, but I love 'em. I have tons of pictures of them and even have one set as my wallpaper.

--Shannon

ugghhh - i dont get cucumbers..... thats why i dont even bother with night dives in the tropics as they are everywhere... BUT, each to their own so enjoy!

ive seen so many things so i guess its what i havent seen that i still want to is cool..... i would like to see a flock of eagle rays like you see in the movies and i would also like to see a dugong (and fingers crossed for Christmas i will get dugongs crossed off my list)

ive seen humpback whales and octupus and mantas and big schools of fish and and pygmie seahorses and sea hoses and pipe fish and ornate pipefish and huge individual fish and turtles and lion fish and sharks... funny enough, everything but the manta i have seen right here in sydney!

cheers

I'd have to say a six gill off Hornby Island in BC and a napolean fish in the Red Sea.

The coolest, most gorgeous creature I have seen in the sea is Free Diver Tanya Streeter. (On my TV set).
She looks an absolute babe in that skin tight shiny wetsuit

Can I cheat and say the coolest creature I've heard? Would have to be a safety stop hanging around listening to humpback whalesong.

Cuttlefish. OK - maybe not what you expect, but I find these creatures fascinating. The way they can change color, create animated patterns, and even change their skin texture. Also, they're (normally) quite gentile creatures. Just love 'em.

Fur seals would have to be up there too. So playful!

As for wish:
-manta rays
-whales
-great white (from within a cage of course :) )
-Friendly dolphins (the ones that like to stick around, and play with you) All I've seen so far are ones that just flash by and then rack off...
-Sea dragons / weedies

Back
Top Bottom