Coral Scuba - Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrivic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I have heard that Coral Scuba has closed as the owner retired after 25 years in the business. Can someone confirm if this rumor is true or not please? We will be travelling to Isla on Sept 20-27 and had our hearts set on diving with them. From my research, Aqua Adventures is the only other PADI certified dive shop and they prices are crazy compared to Coral's. Now I guess we have no other choice but to get taken by Aqua. (Haven't heard anything good about the other dive shops: Cruise Divers, Sea Hawk, Delfin, etc.)

Thanks!

I just dove with Coral in early August.

I was dissappointed enough with their customer service, in the shop, that I decided to just do the 2 tank dive & then find another dive op. The actual dive was fine & the DM was great, but I was glad we went with another op. The rest of our dives were with Crystal Divers, who are literally around the corner. They are a PADI certified shop too. (I think they were formerly Cruise Divers )

I do a good deal of research before I choose a dive op, so it was a real let down that I had to find another op, on the fly. I don't know if Coral is still open, but IMHO, I'd go with someone else.By the way, the prices listed on the web site are not accurate.

If you really have your heart set on Coral, why don't you email them?
csdc@coralscubadivecenter.com

Last edited:
Thanks, Kat. I have tried e-mailing Coral with no response. So, my only guess is that they have closed. Good to know that you enjoyed Crystal/Cruise though. Maybe we'll go with them.

Hi,

I have been Diving with Tino and his team at Coral since 1998. I have never been anything but happy with them. We always have excellent dives...they have the best boats on the island...and have never had a mishap in the 10 or so years I have been going (3-4 times a year). I have dived quite a few places, and on the island I find them the most professional and reliable. I seen other boats go out when the Harbour Master close down the port...but Coral won't take that risk.

I dived with them for 2 weeks in June and Tino never mentioned closing down.

Give the shop a call @ + 52 998-877-0061 or 0572... I am sure you will get someone...

I am goimg to call today as I am going down at Christmas to dive with them and if they are closed it is news to me... I will give an update

Well I have called repeatedly without success. The number just goes to voice mail. So maybe they are closed. My wife has suggested that Tino is on vacation during the hurricane season. He had mentioned he was thinking of going away to us.

If anyone is down to Isla Mujeres, please let me know if they have closed permanently.

Thanks

I dove with Coral 4-5 times a year. Was there for 10 days in August and Tino the owner was ready to retire. He closed the shop and sold the boats, compressors and equipment.
Gilberto has rented the dive shop space and has reopened as Carey Dive Center. Carlos, David and Antonio are with him. Gilberto plans to be a PADI dive center, he is working it.
Gilberto can be reached at swimkit@hotmail.com

Enrique has started his own dive shop. He has his own boat and plans to offer adventure diving and snorkeling. Enrique is a good friend of mine and I have dove with him for years.
Enrique can be reached at uayeb13@hotmail.com

Well I will miss Tino and the team... I usually dived with Enrique... I did my OW with Gilberto, knew Carlos...David...Arturo (who used to work at Adelitas)...and everyone else who moved back and forth...maybe I will be back doing private dives with Ramon.

Did Gilberto buy any of the Intervalos or did Gabriel (one of the Capt's.)? They were probably the best on the island.

Well I will miss Tino and the team... I usually dived with Enrique... I did my OW with Gilberto, knew Carlos...David...Arturo (who used to work at Adelitas)...and everyone else who moved back and forth...maybe I will be back doing private dives with Ramon.

Did Gilberto buy any of the Intervalos or did Gabriel (one of the Capt's.)? They were probably the best on the island.

Gabriel got one of the boats for his severance package. The other 3 boats, compressors and most of the dive equipment were sold to fisherman. Gabriel's brother Alvaro ( DM from Coral ) and Emilo run Crystal diver, I hear Gaby and his new boat are working with them.
Gilberto is currently having to hire a boat and captain. He hopes to buy 2 boats before the end of the year.
Enrique got 10 sets of dive gear from Tino to use in his new dive shop.

We are going to Isla on Sept 27th. If you get a chance, please post your experiences this week with the dive operators.

Back
Top Bottom