Correct way(s) to transport tanks ina car/van, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowzer

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any specific recommendations for orienting a tank in a car or van for transport? When putting my tanks in my Subaru, I place them butt facing the back, on the assumption that were I rearranged, the valve would be better protected and should the valve fracture the tank would be propelled away from the passengers and probably into the engine block of the other vehicle. I know others who state that their instructors told them to face the valve to the back. I have just gotten a van (too much scuba stuff for the Subaru) and am looking for advice on the safest way to orientated the cylinders (vertical is probably out). Have there been any studies done, etc? should it be for and aft, sideways, which way should the valves face?

Don't take this as a technical answer but as a retired welder I've been handling high pressure bottles a long time. If the valve were pointed reward, in the event of an accident it wouldn't in my opinion (what ever that's worth) have enough room to get up enough momentum to hurt anything. It would just vent air. I've seen larger bottles take off, but 1. they are larger and have more volume and 2. they need some room to get up to speed. If they valve was somehow able to break off towards you I think the air injection would be VERY damaging. It could peel your skin off or worse inject you. Either way very trumatic and potentially leathal. I'd say build a box with a tie down and point them to the side.

Carl

I went through the same dilema. I built a rack that holds them vertically. It makes handling them very easy. In fact, I can put the bcd and reg onto a tank while it is still in the rack and then put the whole thing in my back just by sitting on the rear bumper and then standing up.

I think the answer is that there is no safe way to transport metal cylinders within the occupant compartment of a vehicle. That is one of the main reasons that I have a truck. I place them laying down with the valves toward the back of the vehicle because I beleive that in a mild accident the valves will not be damaged.

I built a few cradles that each hold 2 cylinders laying flat. The necks nest into a pocket and the valve is down inside. I usually load them aross the vehicle when I can. Otherwise it's valve to the front. The craddle will catch the cylinder shoulder before the valves see a load. Of course in a serious collision all bets are off anyhow.

pete

Transporting SCUBA tanks under pressure in an automobile creates challenges that are very unique. The temperature in a car can exceed 140 degree farenheit (burst disks will take care of the cylinder if the temperature gets too high), the junk in the trunk of a car can damage the cylinder (car jack, tools, and even golf clubs). The greatest threat to the cylinder is a valve broken off the stem exposing the air under pressure to freely vent. The best protection of the valve is to use a protective box for the entire tank. Protect the valve at all times.

GDCB:
Don't take this as a technical answer but as a retired welder I've been handling high pressure bottles a long time. If the valve were pointed reward, in the event of an accident it wouldn't in my opinion (what ever that's worth) have enough room to get up enough momentum to hurt anything. It would just vent air. I've seen larger bottles take off, but 1. they are larger and have more volume and 2. they need some room to get up to speed. If they valve was somehow able to break off towards you I think the air injection would be VERY damaging. It could peel your skin off or worse inject you. Either way very trumatic and potentially leathal. I'd say build a box with a tie down and point them to the side.

Carl

Ya know, I've always wondered why they don't put 'safety caps' on SCUBA cylinders like they do on other HP cylinders (welding cylinders, for instance).

Any one know?

Wayne: As soon as it stops raining here in SoCal, I'll take and post a picture. While I do have a housing for my camera, I just don't feel like swimming out to the DiveMobile to take the picture. BTW: DiveMobile is an Astro Van that is used mainly for diving with some other hauling thrown in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom