Corrosion on HP Hose - Sign of mishandling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kebosatu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone,

Have some time visually inspecting my reg today. Found sign of corrosion on HP hose (I think)

Image uploaded here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet. It's the end of the hose which attached to first stage. Since this is a new hose (less than 6 months old), I've been wondering what might cause it to corrode so fast.

1. Did I (or somebody) mishandling the reg and introduce saltwater inside?
2. For new HP hose, is the quality bad?
3. How to clean it up (if necessary)?

Any inputs appreciated. :D

Cheers... Kebo

Corrosion like that would be because of water. What do the LP hoses look like as well the LP chamber of the reg? (Take all of the hoses and plugs off and shine a light inside). What does the filter look like on the yoke/din connection?

To clean it up a bit of vinegar/water mix will remove it.

From the picture that looks more like the SPG end of the hose?

If so then the spool fits into the hole. The inside of the spool is sealed by the O-rings, the outside is exposed to water and will show some effects.

Did it already have some marking when it was new? The marks seem to only be on the outer edge not in the 'well'.

Last edited:
the o-ring normally indicates first stage side. Methinks that is from not having a dry valve outlet when you install the first stage. Check the first stage filter, but it appears due for cleaning if it's the first stage side.

Last edited:
Clearly an unprotected area of the spg side. Not any real concern. Longer soaks would prevent it.

Thanks guys, let me post the filter condition later today... I just curious why it develop corrosion on this internal area.

Filter Condition Images are up:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Looks pretty bad to me. This reg was sent for inspection 6 months ago, and was given a green light to go without overhaul, only HP hose change required which I requested myself. So suspecting there's mishandling in one of the trip in the past 6 months (total only abt 25 dives).

Thoughts?

the valve outlet on your tank isn't dry when you install the regulator. Make sure you crack the valve and blow any residual moisture out of the valve before you put the regulator on. You're getting salt water inside of your first stage which is causing the corrosion on your hose, likely filter, and all of the internal parts of your first stage an dpotentially second stages, and potentially the inside of your actual SPG.

I'm at work so can't see the pictures, but if the filter looks as bad or worse in terms of green oxidation, then you need a full rebuild. The hose can be cleaned up with some vinegar on a q-tip or soak the bottom of that hose in a diluted vinegar solution, then clean it up. If any of the oxidation breaks off, it can clog your SPG which is bad. The whole regulator assembly needs to be fully disassembled and cleaned. It isn't ruined yet which is good, but I'd get it fixed sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom