Cost of cylinders in the United States

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba J7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Due to recent actions of our government (tariffs Imposed on steel and aluminum) should we be expecting the cost of cylinders to rise?

I know Luxfer has manufacturing facilities all over the world, but they are not clear on where their aluminium is sourced from. Faber steel cylinders are imported from Italy. It seems the tariffs will affect raw materials and finished goods but I’m unsure if that will cover our cylinders. It is appearant that consumers will be feeling the hit in one way or another.

Obviously this post is borderline political, so let’s keep the politics out of it and not voice our opinions about the tariffs, I’m more interested in how it will affect us as divers.

The prices will probably go down. The workers filling the new jobs created will have more disposable income. Many will start SCUBA diving, and buy new equipment and tanks. Manufactures can lower their margins because of the increase in volume. Of course the freight charges will offset the savings because of the rising crude prices. We just can't win!

The raw material cost for the metal in tanks or back plates and the like is not all that much. A 10-30% tariff on the raw material cost is not likely to increas the price all that much. Price would seem to be driven more by R&D, marketing, manufacturing and such. That said anyone have a source for Russian made tanks?

The prices will probably go down. The workers filling the new jobs created will have more disposable income. Many will start SCUBA diving, and buy new equipment and tanks. Manufactures can lower their margins because of the increase in volume. Of course the freight charges will offset the savings because of the rising crude prices. We just can't win!
Lol, sorry but I’ve ran manufacturing facilities, never seen them lower their margins even with increased volume. Faber steels will still have to be imported, but agian I’m unsure if they fall under the guidelines of the tariffs. I wasn’t even thinking about oil so I’m guessing Steel cylinders will go up regardless if they fall under the tariffs or not.

pretty sure that was sarcasm.

that said In Canada I get almost weekly notices about my equipment and material cost going up

It doesn't matter to me because its not a highly consumable item.

The higher duties on steel & aluminum imports into the US are mostly on unfinished goods (bar stock or such, that can be made into the finished product here in the US), although things like pipe and wire are included. Finished goods are mostly not included under the higher duty rates at this time. So, foreign country of origin tanks imported into the US, no additional duty (on top of what is already specified in the HTSUS).

I deal with imports on the job. Steel tanks are currently duty free. Aluminum tanks have a duty of 5%

Due to recent actions of our government (tariffs Imposed on steel and aluminum) should we be expecting the cost of cylinders to rise?

I know Luxfer has manufacturing facilities all over the world, but they are not clear on where their aluminium is sourced from. Faber steel cylinders are imported from Italy. It seems the tariffs will affect raw materials and finished goods but I’m unsure if that will cover our cylinders. It is appearant that consumers will be feeling the hit in one way or another.

Obviously this post is borderline political, so let’s keep the politics out of it and not voice our opinions about the tariffs, I’m more interested in how it will affect us as divers.

If you don't want to be affected by the increased duties, buy used tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom