Cost of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Horses or diving, neither is cheap.
The cost is all relative. Some may be able to afford both quite easily and think both are relatively inexpensive, while others may barely be able to afford one.
There are ways to make diving relatively affordable.
Buy used gear or on sale.
Learn to service your own gear and learn where to find parts cheap.
Learn which brands you can get your own parts for.
Dive locally and learn to be happy with that.
Realize that it doesn't take all the modern fancy expensive gear just to get out and enjoy a simple dive.

Horses:
They are a living breathing animal and need lots of care. Horses can't just be thrown into a closet and forgotten about until you get enough money to decide to go out and ride them.
There is food, boarding, vet bills, transportation and the vehicles and trailers associated with the hobby, and all the other gear needed.

Horses cost way more money.

That's a good perspective that others have tossed out there: If entering college AND taking your horse with you to wherever you go to college seems like it's financially feasible to you, then diving is not going to seem like a financial burden. I don't know when you would have time to ride AND dive while in college, but you didn't ask for time management advice.

That's a good perspective that others have tossed out there: If entering college AND taking your horse with you to wherever you go to college seems like it's financially feasible to you, then diving is not going to seem like a financial burden. I don't know when you would have time to ride AND dive while in college, but you didn't ask for time management advice.

Time management advice would be great too. With full board though, you don't have to go to the barn every day. If I dive on a Saturday, I would go to the barn Friday or Sunday. I'm sure I'll find a way to make things work out. One good thing is that I am very driven to work for what I want. Not many 16 year olds put in 40 hours a week at work in the summer. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom