Cost of gear summary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spend so much on diving every week, that I should have a separate budget for it. But I don't. I have to schedule deliveries when my wife is not home.:)

I just ship it to my office....

(with a diving family, everything here can be x3)

I went into the dive shop for a fill one time. I walked out with a trip for two to the Galapagos. Talk about impulse buys!

I have gear for myself (x2), wife, daughter and am gearing up for my son. I am afraid to tab it all up but the gear cost pales in comparison to the travel cost.

Backpacking / camping gear $3000+

Rock climbing gear $5000+

Scuba gear..... I don't want to know.

I hope my wife doesn't read this

Fortunately at this point we have spent way more on travel for diving instead of dive equipment to the tune of about 2 to 1.

I think we are somewhere in the $8000 range on gear, although Mrs Flush keeps eyeballing my Shearwater and I just bought a harness.
Damn this is a glorious nasty cycle.

Scubadiving is not the most expensive of my hobbies, but i am selling off other hobby equipment I don't use when i only want to dive :)

Kayaking, i have kayaks for about €8000, one paddle at €700, and i don't count what more.
Bicycles, different bikes for somewere between €5000 and €8000, not to mention repairs, upgrades, shoes and clothes, computers and other stuff.
Snowmobiles, 3 of them, don't want to know the fuel cost.
Diving, so far around €4000, and more in certification and travel, but that is shared with vacation. Plan to buy some more tanks, maybe a small double set, maybe another BP/W setup, a new drysuit, just bought a used Suunto D6i and will buy AI for it.

Scubadiving is not too expensive, or it don't need to be. ;-) but i need to sell one of my kayaks and maybe some bicycles.

I am making a summary of what I spent in scuba gear

OMG, NOOOOOO!!!!!

There was a friend of mine, a collector of vintage scuba gear, who had amassed a sizable collection of rare and valuable equipment over the years. As all good collectors, he was slightly less than honest in describing the amount of money he had invested in his hobby, at least with his spouse. Last year, he had an accident and hit his head, went into a coma for about two months. When he finally awoke, his loving wife was at his side, and she told him that the past few months had been very difficult for her, with him in the hospital, and the bills piling up, she had been forced to sell some of his collection to make ends meet. "But don't worry, I was able to sell every piece at the price you told me you had paid for each", she told him. At which time he promptly suffered a cerebral hemorrhage and died.

Moral of this story is never declare what you have spent on your passion, especially if you fudge the numbers; and remember you can't spend too much on a given piece of equipment, you can only spent that amount too soon.

p.s. Did I mention I own 48 regulators?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom