Cost to dive Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree.
In 2016 my son and I were on an LOB (not Bonaire) two weeks in a row and on track to do every dive. He tired a little out and chose to take a break and watch a movie for one dive. No problem, watch the movie (I went for the dive of course). Then, afterwards I made a parenting mistake - meaning well, but... --- Well he was 15 and understanding a little more can't hurt I thought, so, I asked him to calculate the cost per dive if all dives are taken - airfare, tips and and all. Then, as a teaching moment ( I thought) I asked him what he would say it cost to watch that free movie. He was not too happy... Neither was I ' cause of course the actual cost per dive, despite great deal and all was still a bit depressing...

Got you covered on all of this-- Here is the scoop from the left coast:

1. Flights: You will want to fly United out of SFO. You can get there same day on Saturday's flying via Houston. Saturday is the only option. Returns are only on Sunday (which is awesome!). So, return the following Sunday for a full 1 week stay.

2. Accommodations: Knowing you the bit that I do from your posts and our shared experience weekend with Truth Aquatics to Santa Cruz Island, I would highly recommend staying at Den Laman or Bamboo Bali. See my earlier post for the link to Bamboo Bali. Both places do a Stay, Drive and Dive package. So, 7 nights accommodation, Truck rental for the entire stay and unlimited tanks and free nitrox for the week. Bamboo Bali will cost you roughly $1,000 per person for a double occupancy and Den Laman will be between $1,000 and $1300 depending on the room type you select.
Here is the link to Den Laman: Rates & Packages - Den Laman
Here is the link to Bamboo Bali: Rates & Packages

Bonaire is the best value for quality and quantity of diving and total enjoyment that I have found anywhere. If you will be going with Mr. OOO - then I'd definitely recommend Bamboo Bali. PM me if you want any additional details. I have other recommendations if you want to put together a larger group of people.

Arriving Saturday and departing Sunday results in 8 nights stay- so, there is a little bit of an up-charge on the rates above with both locations.

This is awesome info. It was just what i was looking for. Thank you!

How much did you spend on food?

This is awesome info. It was just what i was looking for. Thank you!

How much did you spend on food?
Food is pretty similarly priced to here in the US both in the restaurants/food trucks and in the grocery stores. So, basically plan on spending about the same amount that you would at home whether eating in or out. Den Laman has an upcharge option to have breakfast included. We did it the first time we stayed there, but I wouldn't do it again. It was not a worth it to me. You can get a great breakfast next door at Between 2 Buns and this is also a great place to grab an awesome sandwich and take it with you for lunch while out diving during the day.

I know-- I cringe every time I recommend Bamboo Bali. Kind of want to keep it a secret and certainly don't want them to start jacking their prices.

FYI - perusing the real estate and I think it's for sale. While not named in the listing, it's unmistakable. If you are looking for a career move, you could become a hotelier in a sunny place!

To OP - there are a bunch of smaller on- and off- water places to stay ranging from hotels, B&B's, homes/condo's and boutique style resorts. Depends on your criteria. The Lizard Inn lists rates of $85/person/night. Black Durgon lists $88/night double, $77/night single + $16 extra person AND that includes breakfast. Their week long package is $309/person, in their Pilot Fish Units - NOT ON THE WATER. The Black Durgon Inn itself is on the water, at Cliff dive site and has a shared outdoor kitchen. Bruce Bowkers Carib Inn is waterfront, but good luck getting in. Gorgeous grounds, great location (walking distance to town), always sells out. Bruce is an icon, the go-to guy for gear issues and a fellow Jersey-ite (fled the cold Northeast, lucky guy). Sometimes there are last minute openings, so do check it out! Casa Calexico off the water, lists a drive and dive package for $689/week (double occupancy - $1,340 for 2 peeps) includes lodging, rental vehicle, 6 days air or nitrox, tanks, belts using Wannadive locations for tanks. (For perspective that is about a week for 1 person at some of the island "resorts"). All can be found on the internet.

Try VRBO for privately held condos at places like SandDollar, Light House Beach Resort (LBR), Kings Beach Resort or Hamlet Oasis - just found a lovely sleep 2 studio on the water for $699 a week.

All of the above are clean, comfortable, have been around for years, AC and WiFi. Most have a small kitchen meaning you can make and eat meals in or at least keep the post-dive Polars chilled.

FYI - perusing the real estate and I think it's for sale. While not named in the listing, it's unmistakable. If you are looking for a career move, you could become a hotelier in a sunny place!

To OP - there are a bunch of smaller on- and off- water places to stay ranging from hotels, B&B's, homes/condo's and boutique style resorts. Depends on your criteria. The Lizard Inn lists rates of $85/person/night. Black Durgon lists $88/night double, $77/night single + $16 extra person AND that includes breakfast. Their week long package is $309/person, in their Pilot Fish Units - NOT ON THE WATER. The Black Durgon Inn itself is on the water, at Cliff dive site and has a shared outdoor kitchen. Bruce Bowkers Carib Inn is waterfront, but good luck getting in. Gorgeous grounds, great location (walking distance to town), always sells out. Bruce is an icon, the go-to guy for gear issues and a fellow Jersey-ite (fled the cold Northeast, lucky guy). Sometimes there are last minute openings, so do check it out! Casa Calexico off the water, lists a drive and dive package for $689/week (double occupancy - $1,340 for 2 peeps) includes lodging, rental vehicle, 6 days air or nitrox, tanks, belts using Wannadive locations for tanks. (For perspective that is about a week for 1 person at some of the island "resorts"). All can be found on the internet.

Try VRBO for privately held condos at places like SandDollar, Light House Beach Resort (LBR), Kings Beach Resort or Hamlet Oasis - just found a lovely sleep 2 studio on the water for $699 a week.

All of the above are clean, comfortable, have been around for years, AC and WiFi. Most have a small kitchen meaning you can make and eat meals in or at least keep the post-dive Polars chilled.

I will need to look into that. It would be a very turnkey opportunity.

[QUOTE="Jersey, post: The Black Durgon Inn itself is on the water, at Cliff dive site and has a shared outdoor kitchen. [/QUOTE]

Black Durgon Inn is on the water, but the site out front and to the left is Small Wall, not Cliff which is well south between Habitat and the Dive Friends store at Hamlet.

[QUOTE="Jersey, post: The Black Durgon Inn itself is on the water, at Cliff dive site and has a shared outdoor kitchen.

Black Durgon Inn is on the water, but the site out front and to the left is Small Wall, not Cliff which is well south between Habitat and the Dive Friends store at Hamlet.[/QUOTE]

Yep - This is true and as I have learned, you cannot shore dive from Black Durgon unless you are staying there. Which I understand, but is a bummer!

Yes, sorry all - Black Durgon is Small Wall, NOT Cliff. Been a long week.... its only Tuesday and another Nor'easter looming. My understanding is Durgon used to be accessible, but visiting divers would stop in the shared outdoor kitchen and help themselves to a cold one from the fridge on the way out. Guests would return at the end of the dive day, eagerly anticipating their cold Polar only to find they were gone. I'd be outraged!

Back
Top Bottom