Costa Concordia modern Andrea Doria?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess what I should have said instead of "2 captains", Is 2 ppl piloting the boat at all times on the approved course. Each having full right to correct the course or report the other for intentional violations.

With todays tech it is possible to keep a ship within a 100 feet of where it should be. Heck I have a 25 foot boat and I have not run it aground yet, Of course I spend a lot of time near shore.

It just seems crazy that in this day and age that any comercial boat runs aground with out a mechanical failure of some sort.

Highflier

In this case it was the computer behind the captains' ears that failed. He overrode the programmed course. It doesn't matter how good a computer is if the user is an idiot.

In this case it was the computer behind the captains' ears that failed. He overrode the programmed course. It doesn't matter how good a computer is if the user is an idiot.

And that is why I suggested a second set of ears thus duplicating the computers. If one computer knows that it will be decomissioned for program faults, it would most likely be more reliable. This whole blue screen of death could have been avoided!

Highflier

So are they going to drag it to india and have it scrapped or refurbish it as another ship?

Yesterday they were saying that there is a possibility the ship might break in half. It sounds like the ship is absolutely going to be scrapped. The decision now is if they cut it up in pieces where it is, or refloat it so it can be towed to a scrapping facility. What a total waste of money. They are going to take that out of his paycheck! :wink:

It has been said a lot of times in the news that the cost of the ship was near $ 600 millions.
Also it was mentioned in the local news, that that type of maneuvers, I mean, getting too close to shore to allow passengers and islanders to greet each other, was an accepted childishness (the ship blackbox showed 52 times this done previously).
Up to now the rescue is being suspended as the ship seems to be moving down the shore to a wall. If this happens, the ship will sink in 80 meters depth and will no longer be re-floated.
It was mentioned that the cost to re-float it and refurbish could be comparable to the cost of a new ship, so, perhaps, the authorities will try to scrap it while it's still in the surface or leave it go to the bottom as a new wreck for us divers.

In Italy it is SOP for your hotel to take your passport for a day.

Really? Will they accept a photocopy of your passport in normal hotels there? I am very unwilling indeed to surrender my passport to a hotel, although I do carry colour photocopies with me.

I've not been to Italy, but didn't know they did that. I guess different countries have different rules.

Other countries I've been to in Europe haven't asked to keep my passport. (I can't remember if they asked to see it at check-in or not at any of them). like I said, each country is prob different.

I know most folks don't like giving up their passports. on cruises that depart out of the US they simply take that information when you check in at the departure counter. I can't recall if they write it down, or just verify what was already given in the reservation, or if they "scan it". But you get it right back.

One other thing I recommend people get when renewing their passport is the "passport card". It's a drivers license size ID card. It will also serve as proof of citizenship in the US and is easier to carry "on your person" (in your wallet) than a passport is. And if you loose your passport, it will help you show citizenship better than your state issued drivers license.

it's not designed for air travel though. just for sea travel that originates and terminates in the US. (otherwise what they call "closed loop cruises".) It can also be used for car border crossings from Canada and Mexico.

In the case of this cruise, if you had your wallet on you when they "abandoned ship", you'd at least have your passport card with you even if they took your passport, to use as ID/citizenship in booking air travel back to the US, or to use at the US consulate to hopefully expedite getting a real passport done.

For those here who have young kids (under age 16) that don't have drivers license, this also gives you a form of "picture ID' that is legal to use for them for other purposes, such as ID at a bank, etc.

here's the passport card.

300px-Passport_card.jpg

I guess what I should have said instead of "2 captains", Is 2 ppl piloting the boat at all times on the approved course. Each having full right to correct the course or report the other for intentional violations.

often times there are at least two deck officers on watch at any given time. This is being done more and more often even on smaller boats like the tugs that I work on. However, if the Captain has the conn and he wants to disregard his bridge team (or his team doesn't want to speak up against him) things happen. One portion of the training for a deck license is Bridge Rescource Management. It's designed to prevent things from happening.

With todays tech it is possible to keep a ship within a 100 feet of where it should be. Heck I have a 25 foot boat and I have not run it aground yet, Of course I spend a lot of time near shore.

Without looking up the specifics of the incident this is very possible unless the vessel has a dynamic positioning system. Driving ships isn't like driving a small boat or a car. Unless you're in a channel, coming up to a dock, etc. you aren't going to be within 100ft of your trackline all the time. Of course this is why you don't plot a course that close to shoal water. It just isn't good seamanship.

It just seems crazy that in this day and age that any comercial boat runs aground with out a mechanical failure of some sort.

Highflier

it's easy, it all comes down to a momentarely lapse of judgement by the bridge team or in this case a lapse of judgement by the Captain.

"Being kept out," or simply not available in sufficient numbers for the scope of the emergency? My impression is that they're scrambling everyone they can on short notice, but that's an impression, not fact.

You could be right, but the information I have is from a commercial diving team consisting of Burners, and Salvage divers who are standing by in the Netherlands waiting for the green light. Not sure what the issue is.

It has been said a lot of times in the news that the cost of the ship was near $ 600 millions.
Also it was mentioned in the local news, that that type of maneuvers, I mean, getting too close to shore to allow passengers and islanders to greet each other, was an accepted childishness (the ship blackbox showed 52 times this done previously).
Up to now the rescue is being suspended as the ship seems to be moving down the shore to a wall. If this happens, the ship will sink in 80 meters depth and will no longer be re-floated.
It was mentioned that the cost to re-float it and refurbish could be comparable to the cost of a new ship, so, perhaps, the authorities will try to scrap it while it's still in the surface or leave it go to the bottom as a new wreck for us divers.

Last night I heard a report that a rescue mission for some crew believed to be alive in the engine room was underway. I hope this thing does not slide down till the whole ship has been cleared.
Highflier

from what I have seen of the boat it might be more cost efective just to clean the tub out and send her down. It would make one help of a blue water dive.

Really? Will they accept a photocopy of your passport in normal hotels there? I am very unwilling indeed to surrender my passport to a hotel, although I do carry colour photocopies with me.

Unless they have changed the rules in the last 10 years, your hotel is required to register you. We only stayed at one hotel so I don't know if the rule applies to every time you check in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom