Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel - Pick 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShepFL33710

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there! I am new to diving and new to SB. I have found lots of helpful posts here and appreciate SB.

I am going on a cruise March 25, 2006 and have ports (8am to 6pm) in Costa Maya, San Tomas De Stillo - Guatamala, Belize, and Cozumel. I plan to dive 2 days and need help on which 2 ports are best. I am pretty set on Costa Maya as there is not much esle to do there and from what I have read it sounds pretty good (Blue Ha Diving). Initially I was leaning towards Belize for the second dive but am now considering Cozumel as I have been told there is much more sealife there.

Any input or suggestions on which 2 of my stops would be the best experience. I do prefer sea creatures to Reefs although I enjoy both.

Thanks for your input.

John....... Soon be cruisin!

I'd vote for Costa Maya and Cozumel. While the diving in Belize is good, you spend a lot of time on the dive boat getting out there, logistics are a bit more difficult. You have so many wonderful dive operators to choose from in Cozumel, makes it easy to get just the day of diving you're wanting.

Thanks BurBunny..... The more info I find the more it seems skipping Belize, with my limited time there, is the best choice. Thanks for your reply.

I just got back from my first cruise last week (a wife thing) to GC, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Grand Cayman diving: OK, but if I were you, I would either book the trip through the cruise line so they are responsible to get you back to the ship on time. Also, because you are tendered to shore, if the weather is not that great, or a front is moving in, they may either cancel the shore trip or cut your time on the island because it may be dangerous getting guest loaded back onto the ship in swells. They cut our time by three hours. My other suggestion would be to get off the ship, turn right and walk down to Eden Rock and dive from shore. The Devils Grotto has lots of cuts and cravasses; really, not a bad dive. Belize: great diving, but a lot of travel to the reefs; eats up a lot of time. Again, book through the cruise line. I would suggest you do the Cave tubing and Jungle walk excursion if you choose not to dive - $98.00 per head, includes lunch. Costa Maya: There will be dive ops right at the end of the pier looking for business. $85.00 gives you a two tank dive. Never dove the area so I can't comment on how good it is. We rented a 4-wheel, big tire golf cart and cruised the island; did some snorkling off Fisherman's village, found a neat little restaurant and ate lunch right on a shaded beach; very relaxing. Cozumel: Well, it's Cozumel--great drift diving, as well as some good shore diving if you know where to go. Because the hurricane distroyed the cruise ship pier, you will be tendered to the island. Again this can take some time. So, I would recommend either GC, maybe Costa Maya (wait to hear from posters who have dove there) and definately Cozumel. My $.02

I can't say much about diving at any of those places. BUT, I did the cave tubing excursion available and LOVED IT. It is an experience I won't ever forget, and I've had lots. Good luck and take care.

Thanks for the details RuggerMike and Barracuda2........ I defintely plan to do the zip line and Cave tubing in Belize. We are very excited for this trip. Today I booked my Dives with Marco at Blue Ha (dreamtimediving.com) in Costa Maya and with Cristie at Blue XT Sea Diving in Cozumel. I am sure we will have a great experience. Your feedback has been helpful, thanks so much. I will let you all know how the trip turns out.

Thanks,

John

Hey John:

I'll in the a few of the same ports next week as well. My diving buddy & our families are getting on RC's Enchantment of the Sea's this coming Monday. We'll be getting below the waves in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend, then Key West, Cozumel, & Belize.

In Cozumel, I recommend Dive with Marteen. My buddy and I worked with him exclusively when we were there last year - small boats, small groups, and their rental equipment was in great working order.

Have fun & be safe.

Peace, out.
MD UJ

If you skip Belize, it should only be b/c of the time issues. . . Belize diving is FABULOUS. I like Coz too but would take Belize any day.

I dove Costa Maya first of the year. I must say it was quite a bad experience. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT dive with anything the ship sets up or with any of the operators at the end of the pier. THE only dive shop to book with that actually had a regular dive boat is Dream Time Diving
http://www.dreamtimediving.com/home/index.php

I booked with one of the pier vendors and wound up diving from a dingy in Friggin plain site of the cruise ship in 30 foot water on a huricane destroyed reef with a dive master that was hired a month ago because he was camping next to the dive hut which didnt have a real boat and sent a dingy to pick us up which ended up stranded out in the bay because the 13 year old didn't have a clue and promptly jumped over board to swim back to shore and left us in the boat/dingy to just stair at the Dream Time boats departing for their trip. Believe me this is the short version. We were still able to dive one dive for $85.00 all within site of the Cruise ship.

The moral of the story is to book ahead =)

CJ

We went on a cruise in December and stopped at Cozumel and Costa Maya. I can't say anything about the diving in Belize, but I can say that Coz and Costa Maya were a great time! The CM experience was different, I'll admit, but the diving was excellent, and RIGHT offshore.
Here's a link to my trip report if you're interested. Good luck and let us know what you chose!!
-Lisa

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=122609

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom