Costa Rica 2004 - Tunicate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The wife and I were diving off Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica in July 2004. We photographed a number of these little critters during that trip. I know a bit more about critter id now than I did then, but still just enough to be dangerous. We found these guys in water anywhere from about 40-60 fsw. I am fairly certain it is some kind of tunicate, but the only ones I know how to make a positive id on are Caribbean varieties. Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you have any more pics? In that one it looks like an azure vase sponge...

I am fairly certain these are not Azure Vase Sponges, however. We saw many of them on this trip, and they were all tiny, maybe 1-1 1/2 inthces tall tops, and fairly uniform. They were always solitary, as well.

This picture isn't much better, but perhaps it will help with perspective.

gangrel441:
The wife and I were diving off Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica in July 2004.
Ah, I just realized your dive site is Pacific. That makes ID'ing the thing considerably more difficult.

archman:
Ah, I just realized your dive site is Pacific. That makes ID'ing the thing considerably more difficult.

Sorry. My bad. I thought when I posted the original message that I mentioned it was a Pacific critter, but I see that I did not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom