Costa Rica Divers BEWARE of Rich Coast Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marigodiva

Registered
Reaction score
Trip Report February 15, 2006

My husband and I were recently in Costa Rica exploring the country and wanted to do a day of diving in the Guanacaste region. We had been directed to Rich Coast Diving by others on Scuba Board. It had changed hands since the recommendations were made, but we decided to go with them anyway. It is now owned by a German couple, Martin and Brenda. In hindsight, we made a few errors in communication with them. From our reading on the board, it sounded like the place to dive would be the Bat or Catalina Islands. Somehow, through several e-mails and phonecalls, this information was not conveyed strongly enough to them. So, we were told to meet at the dive shop in Playas del Coco at 8:30 on the 15th of February. I specifically asked Brenda about wetsuits. We had our own 3mm full wetsuits and she said that is what all of the dive masters wear and that would be fine.

So, we set out on the boat. They said we were going to Punta Argentina, which I eventually surmised was a local dive, not the islands we intended to dive at. But, we still hoped for some decent diving. We went out 15-20 minutes on a very slow boat. We later learned that the primary engine was not working and the back-up engine was only working at half throttle. We did 2 dives--Punta Argentina and Punta Tortuga. As we got ready to dive, the dive masters put on double wetsuits, hood and gloves! I was a little surprised Brenda had not offered to rent us an additional wetsuit. The visibility was poor--10-15 feet--and the water was cold. Our DM said his computer read 20 C at the coldest, that's 68 F. The DMs were nice and we did see some sea life-- a few fish, a sleeping white-tipped shark, a seahorse, sea snakes, eels, small sting rays, and an octopus. After our second dive we had some pineapple-delicious--and beverages. Then the captain started the engine and ... we didn't move as expected. We didn't know there was actually a problem for maybe a half hour, and they never directly told us there was any problem. We picked up from their conversations, however, that the engine was only at about 1/2 throttle and with the wind, we couldn't get back to shore. There were no other dive boats out there and the DM asked the owner and captain to call on their radio. The DM seemed surprised to find out that the radio did not work. So, no engine and no radio. My husband had off-handedly told me to throw in my cell phone that morning which I had enabled with international roaming before we left home. We offered it to them to use. They called someone, which later I saw did not get through, and assured us another boat was on the way to help. Another 45 minutes passed and we were facing the shore, so we could see no boats were coming and we were drifting further and further out. We offered our cell phone again and this time they make a call which went through. Another 30-45 minutes later a boat from Deep Blue Divers came and towed us back to shore, which took an hour or more. Martin never said sorry for not being prepared or thanks for the cell phone--NOTHING. We've heard multiple stories of people dying or being rescued in under similar circumstances. He and his wife were completely unconcerned and when confronted, Brenda said, "Nothing's happened yet" and "Well, you were lucky." We are not sure what would have happened if we had not brought our cell phone. Brenda says she would have called someone if we were gone much longer, but the sun sets there at 6 pm and we didn't get back to the shop until about 4. We may have been spending the night (or longer) out there!

I know there are inherent risks associated with diving. I don't think adding an incapable engine and a non-working radio to those risks is acceptable! We have learned a lesson and will be checking more carefully that a dive op is prepared with a working boat and radio. I guess I naively assumed that especially a recommended shop would not be so ill-prepared. We've been divng in Mexico, Thailand, Belize, Hawaii, and the Bahamas and have never faced such a lack of concern. I would not recommend diving with Rich Coast Diving unless you don't value your life, because they sure don't.

We had an amazing time in Costa Rica and would difinitely go back, and when we do, hopefully we will have a better diving experience with a different dive shop and maybe another dive site! We did some waterfall rappeling near Arenal Volcano with Pure Trek Canyoning which was beautiful and exhilarating--don't miss that if you go. I hope this will be useful to people in the future.

Mari

Mari, sorry it turned out so negative for you. The whole negligence-thing sounds fairly annoying. It isn't the fact that the engine crapped out and the radio was inoperative, as the stars line up weird from time to time, so much as the entire third-world Hakuna-Matata approach to customer service:

"Mind Over Matter! We don't Mind, and It don't Matter! Have another boat drink!" :monkeydan

At least you can put out the word on SB and perhaps the next poor schmuck will know to check and see if the radio works when the boat won't do 10 knots...

Out of curiosity, knowing what you know now if you were going back with another dive shop, what would you take for a wetsuit if you could take anything you wanted? I'm interested to know what you'd consider optimal wetsuitage for Costa Rica...

marigodiva,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in Costa Rica. In the Gulfo de Papagayo area, we've had excellent experiences with Ocotal Dive Resort. The dive manager, Sisinio Alvarado, runs a top notch operation ... the staff and facilities are excellent. The water temps and vis can vary significantly in that area. We were diving in 85 deg F with 60-70 ft vis this past July. My son did some of his first JR OW dives at Tortugas and Punta Argentina. They're considered more begginer-intermeddiate sites. While it's not quite the same experience as some of the sites at the outer islands, there's still plenty of interesting stuff to see. As you discovered, however, Costa Rica has much more to offer than just diving. It is a beautiful country with friendly locals. It has quickly become one of my family's favorite adventure vacation destinations.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, I would not be pleased either. For the benefit of those reading, and yourself also, during my research before the trip I find out what the water temps are, what they are wearing and then (when possible) I confirm that data with other sources. In most tropical areas, you can look at fishing reports and see water temps and sometimes visibility. I then ask all those same questions over again before I get on the boat.
Your experience must have been quite annoying!!!

So, sorry to hear about that experience...and for them not to even say Sorry, or thanks for the phone that was very unprofessional of them. I've been to Costa Rica many times and never have dove with them...the only people i've dove with all the time is with Deep Blue and Ocotal Diving and always have been a good experience with either. again..sorry to hear and hope next time will be better. Live and Learn!

I lived in Costa Rica right across from the Catalinas last year. I'm sorry about your incident with Rich Coast, I am lucky I didn't dive with them. I did dive just about every weekend during the year though and can tell you that the water temp changes drastically daily! One weekend I was warm and the next freezing. The Pacific is tempermental. Colder water, however, usually indicates some of our larger friends.

If you go back to Guanacaste I highly recommend diving with Pacific Coast or the Edge. Living there I heard the buzz around town about different shops and did get to experience some lack luster operators. Even with the better shops though, you might have a head out on occassion. Parts are very difficult to come by down there. It took me months to get a pair of cheapo fins and I had to mail order and have someone bring down a wetsuit.

Hope you go again and have a better experience. I love Costa Rica, and their are some great divers and wonderful people there.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am sure we will go back someday and these recommended dive ops may make for a better dive experience. I had checked ScubaBoard for recommendations as far as water temperatures, etc. and most wrote that a 3 mm wasn't enough which is why I asked the owner about having an additional one and she said 3 mm would be fine, but obviously the DMs knew better. I am not sure what would be optimal as I have only ever dove with a 3 mm full or shorty wetsuits, but maybe 5 mm would be better. I know the temperatures fluctuate, but when you look forward to surfacing because you are so cold, (even my husband who is hot blooded was cold) it is kind of frusterating.

Just got back from CR last night and will post short reply to this before posting my report.

I just missed your initial post (we left March 1) and had planned to dive in Coco for 3 days, March 6-8. We checked out Deep Blue and Rich Coast when we got there, and I got worried about Rich Coast when we told them that we were beginners (4 logged dives only) and they said that they would take us out for 1 day, and then if they thought we were OK they would take us out to the Catalina Islands! From my reading, the Cats are for experienced divers only, and Deep Blue told us that they would not take us to the Cats because we were not experienced divers. So I think this is additional evidence that Rich Coast may not have safety as a top priority. We went with Deep Blue in the end, and were very happy with them. They also have the cheapest prices.

I can't imagen they would tell you all that.
I dove with Rich coast and Martin en Brenda are Dutch not German and I had a wonderfull time. Don't know if you guys know, but they are the only ones with no accident record on their name! Deep blue has had a diver left behind who was later found dead!
Things like a broken engine can happen and I'm almost positive that the crew showed some kind of pitty seeing that they are so helpfull and nice.
I guess everybody can have a bad day! I sure never had any problems with them, and as of Catalina. We went there and we had 2 open water divers along with their personal guide, because that's rich coast for you. small groups and super safety under water, If you went on the local dive and you weren't good enough they wouldn't have taken you and maybe you were good enough, then you missed out on a great dive!! Manta's

I regret that you feel this way Mari.

We were never in any danger; we tried to put the boat on the waves so we would not end up in Ocotal (shore) we never drifted in any direction that could have been dangerous.
Our other boat had a trip to Catalina islands that’s why we choose to go in this direction, hoping that the other boat could pick us up, this took longer than expected because they were doing a 3 tank dive.
If things would run out of hand we always have a 200 meter anchor line on board, which should be enough with a max. depth of 40 meter.
We always check the engine and the radio before we leave and everything worked perfectly, unfortunately the battery was empty by the time we needed it. (We learned from this experience to always take an extra cell phone with us) We did get in touch with Deep Blue fairly soon, but they had to unload their divers and then make it back to us, sorry for the delay.
I do want to say that we did apologize and Martin said sorry to every one in general and thanked you for using the phone.
We even received an email from one of the students who was on board as well and he had no complaints what so ever; he wrote that he enjoyed the day and was happy with the way we handled it. So you see different people different experience.
Once again we know for a fact that there was never any danger (as we told you after the dive).
We apologize once again, and wished you would have passed by the next morning like we asked you to.
We have been in the diving business for years and are owners of a dive shop for the last 7 years; if we had more problems and weren’t any good we wouldn’t survive as long as we have!
We do have a slow boat, which makes most of our divers happy because we go for space instead of speed and no seasickness. The local dive sites are close enough to reach them in 15 minutes with our boat. Our trimaran gives enough space for the divers to relax and even lay out in the sun or enjoy the snacks in the shade. We try to make it as comfortable as possible for all our divers.

I also want to thank diveboober for the confidence in Rich Coast Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom