Costa Rica diving 1st time (in a week!) - need advice!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyberfed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks,

I am headed off to Costa Rica in a mere week!!
While the trip is not planned as a scuba trip we do plan to dive at least one day at or around Playa Del Coco area (Pacific Side)

Anyone out there have any good charters or dive sites they can recommend?
I've heard there are a lot of charters in the area and I would hate to just have to pick one and pray its good :no:

I plan to do a morning/afternoon dive and then a night dive, the rest of the vacation will be spent exploring rain forests, volcanoes, hot springs, white water rafting ect.. :D

Any advice would be greatly helpful!!!

I am interetsed in hearing what others tell you. I will be in Costa Rica in Jul and hoping to find a place as well to dive in the same locale. Online I have found a place called Deep Blue Diving in Playas del Coco and according to the site is a PADI 5-star. The other place I am looking at is The Sanctuary and I think is in Tamarindo. Good luck and if you don't mind post how your trip went.

George

The Sanctuary is a big but nice Condominium Resort inbetween Nosara and Tamarindo
in the middle of nothing and getting there from San Jose is a long 8 hour trip.
You may fly in directly to Liberia Intl. Airport and so the way will be much much shorter.
Consider to rent a 4x4 car because all the roads there are unpaved and there are some rivers to cross.

There is a small dive shop in it and it seems that diving there can be quite interesting like diving in Samara 30 miles more south.

But check before if the shop is open, because July is on the edge to the real rainy season and the may be closed.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

Hey there,
A quick post, sorry so short. I recently got back from Playas del Coco. I reccomend diving with Rich Coast Diving, top notch operation. I had a blast with all of them.

Make that a second vote for Rich Coast Divers. I just returned last night. We dove 3 times with them last week. Good operation. Just be sure to check your gear meticulously before departing. They forgot my wetsuit and we didn't discover it until they were underway. Had to make do with one they had on the boat that was way too big with a smaller, very compressed shortie over the top of itm to keep it from flapping in the current. I dislike using others' wetsuits, which is why we spent the time and weight to shlep mine from home. We observed that they did the same thing to another woman two days earlier, so it wasn't just an isolated oversight.

Be aware that you will have a 1/4 mile walk from the shop to the beach and back after the dive. We found that wearing our scuba boots was the way to go, as the sand under my sandal straps caused abrasions on my foot.

Also, you can expect a 5% upcharge for using a credit card and no travelers checks are accepted. According to Brenda, it's very difficult in CR to get them to clear the bank.Since our credit card charges an additional 3% upcharge for converting charges in foreign currency (this is common practice for most US credit cards,) we asked that the charges be put through in dollars. No go. So count on an 8% mark-up on your final tally, unless you want to bring a pile of cash.

No discounts for multiple dives, unless you plan on doing 5 days or more. $80 for a morning 2-tank dive. $150 for a trip to Bat Island. Don't remember the price for Catalina Island, but think it was a little less than Bat. Maybe $120, if memory serves. Check with them to be certain, however.

Most days, few other divers on their stable trimaran, which was a pleasure. However, on our first day, it was a cattle boat. We were butt-to-butt trying to suit up. Not fun.

Absolutely LOVED our divemaster two of the days, Stefan, a tall blond Swiss dude who speaks impeccable English and is easy-going, very attentive and untimately safety conscious. One of the best divemasters we've ever had. Dove one day with Earl, a nice enough guy, but he can be a little prickly. He didn't like that I pinged my tank too many times to get my husband's attention, and told me I was rationed to one, single ping, essentially because it irritated him to have to look back to see that I was OK. And he wasn't even our divemaster - Stefan was.

Sometimes, I can't get my husband's attention with one ping, and sometimes I do a lot of pinging if something's hard to keep an eye on because of the current and I need him to come fast before I lose sight of it. Gotta say, I've been diving 19 years, probably close to 1000 dives, and this was the very first time I've ever been taken to task for something so trivial. It didn't sit well with me at all. Additionally, he swam us against a ripping current not once, but twice. On the last dive I was so exhausted I had to end the dive. Why on earth swim AGAINST a strong current, when you can simply turn around and enjoyably watch the show blow by? Made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I was so exhausted, it was hard to climb the ladder. And it wasn't necessary.

In other words: Just request Stefan.

Other than those caveats, you'll have a great time. Not the best operation we've ever been out with, but far from the worst. It's a solid operation, and owners Brenda and Martin see things go smoothly. Martin is a wizard behind the lens. Just ask Brenda and she'll be happy to show you not only his great undersea photos, but his fascinating wildlife shots and character studies shot in exotic locales like Malaysia.

You'll see lots of white-tip reef sharks, a few turtles, more spotted eagle rays than you can count, octopus, and more puffers than you have ever seen in your life! The viz is nothing like in the Caribbean - close to probably 25' or so on the average - but the big stuff you'll see more than compensates.

Have a great time!

Rich Coast Diving in Playa Del Coco is a top notch operation as well as Diving safaris in PLaya Hermosa about 15 minutes to the North. Right now on the Central Pacific Manual Antonio, the water temperature is around 80F at the surface dropping to aroud 76F in some thermoclines with beautiful blue waters, so I'm guessing around the same in Guanacaste.
Have Fun Bubbling!

I was in Playa Del Coco area in July 2008, stayed and dived with Ocotal Beach Resort. Friends of mine stayed in Sanctuary for the first part of the week and joined me at Ocotal for the remainder of the week. It was their first and last time using their time share at Sanctuary because of the drive, over an hour over unpaved rough roads, to get to any dive operators and sites.

I did my AOW at Ocotal while my friends stayed in the Sanctuary. We wanted to dive Bats Island and Catalina Island which requires AOW. They had their AOW and I did not. All the local operator will require you to do at least one local dive with them to access your skills before they allow you to dive Bats and Catalina. We saw a dozen or so white-tip sharks at Catalina and seven bull sharks at Bats. My most memorable safety stop to date was at Catalina when a huge manta ray swam beneath us. I stretched my arms out as it was under me to get a sense of how long its wing span but it was much longer than my outstretched arms.

We saw many stingrays, moray eels, barracudas, sea turtles. This is not Carribean drift diving, it's currents and surges. Water temps were in the mid to high 70's, I wore a 3mm full wetsuit and was warm. Viz was 30 - 40 ft, lotsa plankton in the water. Night dive was fun, my AOW instructor Felippe found a sea hare and handled it so it would squirt maroon colored ink at us. At the end of the dive when we were at the anchor line, Felippe turned off all our lights, ran his hand back and forth in front of him and we watched the plankton glow and dance around his open palm, so I did the same and it looked like a mini firework display on the palm of my hand.

The Ocotol dive shop handles your gear the entire time you're there, they bring your gear onto the boat, setup your rig (BC and reg up to the tanks) so each morning when you board the boat you go to the tank with your BC on it and check to make sure that your wetsuit, mask, fins, booties are on the boat. I'm accustomed to handling my own gear so it was odd to have it all done for me but I still checked the gauges and my equipment before each dive. After the dive, they took the gear, rinsed and hung it for the night. The dive instructor, dive master, crew and Captain were all very professional, knowledgeable and went out of their way to make us comfortable. Marianna is the manager and runs a tight operation. She knows what is happening on the boats even if she's not on them. She heard about an unusually rude diver on the morning dive before I could relay the story to her.

We ate breakfast and lunch at the resort and had no issues with the food or the price. For dinner, we drove into town ate at a different restaurant each night. If you enjoy meat, you must have a steak when you're there, the cows are grass-fed. I do not recall having a bad meal while I was there nor being over charged for a meal. I also do not recall having an issue with my room which was spacious and clean.

If you can, fly into Liberia as opposed to San Jose as it's closer to the Playa Del Coco area. If you rent a car beware of a scam where one of the tires on the rental blows or has a slow leak so when you pull over someone offers to help and they either rob you or charge you a lot to fix the tire. I bring this up because our rental had a flat about 20 miles away from the rental counter. My friend heard about the scam online when she researched the trip so was prepared with two Fix-a-Flat cans. Bless her heart for being so prepared. Cars stopped and offered help but we refused all assistance, fixed the flat and arrived at Ocotal. My friend called the rental agency, threatened to report them, mentioned she'd heard about the scams online so they sent a truck with a new tire for our rental without charging us. We had no other car issues for the remainder of the week.

Edit: Was in Costa Rica in 2004 but was not a certified diver at the time so did all the land based activities. Arenal Volcano, Hot springs at Tacacon, kayaking through the mangroves, suspension bridge tour at Monteverde Cloud Forest, Manuel Antonio National Park and Quepos. Saw many varieties of monkeys (howler, spider, cappaccino), sloths, frogs, birds, pythons, porcipines and many more that I can't recall now. On this trip we flew into San Jose and rented a car without any flat tire issues. :D

Last edited:
Hi Sam,

Been to CR many times but never dove - where you posted is where I was thinking of going - long strory, we went to Octal once, were supposted to dive but got blown out. :shakehead:

Sounds good, but would you recommend it (the diving) Would you go back?

I've heard Bat and Catalina are fantastic - wondering about the other sites

Thanks!!

See you in the MOF :rofl3::rofl3:

Water temps last week were about 81 degrees at the surface. However, be aware that it's very common to encounter thermoclines where the temperature can drop as much as 12 degrees.I tend to chill easily, so I wore a 5mm suit (Mares Trilastic) with a 3mm beanie. Even so, those thermoclines felt REALLY frigid. Fortunately, they're relatively short-lived. But you may encounter several in any one dive - we did. Most others wore a 3mm suit. My husband was fine with only a lycra skin, but if you're doing repetitive dives during the week, you might need something a little more substantial as your trip progresses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom