Costa Rica - Jan/Feb 2010 - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calvin007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello. I'm considering a dive trip to Costa Rica some time around January / February 2010. Never having been there before, I've tried to do some research and it seems Playa del Coco (North Pacific region) is a relatively good location for diving. I'd be looking to stay in one location and dive at least 3-4 times a day, if possible, including night dives. We'll have all our own gear (except tanks and weights, of course) and are familiar with boat dives.

Both Deep Blue Diving and Rich Coast Diving have come up in searches, as well as their associated hotels (dive/bed packages). Can someone please share information about:

-- Lodging suggestions (e.g., Hotel La Puerta del Sol)
-- Dive operators and respective boats
-- Dive sites and locations (is Playa del Coco a good choice?)
-- Food and local eateries - are they relatively affordable? In Bonaire, we always bought our own food at the local supermarkets and cooked it.
-- Is car rental always suggested?

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions!

Hi! Let me help you giving you some information about Playas del Coco. There are plenty of hotels around with different price ranges, so it depends on how much you want to spend. We offer several packages with different hotels. Check out our website for more information about the packages. Rich Coast Diving - Costa Rica Diving and Adventure

From Coco you can do 3 different kind of trips. Local (which has about 25 different dive sites), Catalinas (45 minute boat drive), or Bat Island (1,5 boat drive). On the local dives you can see white tip reef sharks; turtles; sting rays; spotted eagle rays; seahorses; clown shrimp. Catalinas is the place to go for the giant manta rays, and Bat island for the manta's and bull sharks (in season).

For food you pay more or less $20 for diner at a restaurant. However, this can be a little cheaper or a little more expensive, just depends what you want to eat. There is a really good steak and fish restaurant, and a really good sushi restaurant. Then there is Coco Palms (really good hotel as well) were they have all different kind of food, from pizza till sushi.

Car rentals are only suggested if you want to travel around. But if you only want to stay in one location you don't need a car. Depending if you arrive in San Jose or Liberia, from San Jose you can take the bus which is really doable for $5. If you arrive in Liberia you can take a taxi to Coco for about $30.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact us!

Sunny regards,

Kiki

Costa Rica is a stunning country with a endless list of things to see and do.
From the dry "Prairie" in northern Costa Rica to the lush primary rainforest in the southern and caribbean part,
from the rain and cloudforests in the mountains to the various volcanos.
As above the sea, under the sea the various locations for diving are quite different as well and i find it worth
to travel around to see and dive more of this breathtaking gem named Costa Rica.
The main locations for diving in Costa Rica are - beginning from north:
Playas del Coco ( Catalina and Bat Island)
Samara
Herradura ( Isla Herradura and Isla Tortuga)
Manuel Antonio ( Venteseis)
Bahia Drake (Isla del Cano)

Prices for lodging and eating are everywhere the same and go from cheap to expensive depending on your needs.
I would suggest that you rent a car to travel around, discovering Costa Rica by car
is the perfect way to reach the places you would like to see,
and it's not really more dangerous than driving elswhere.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

I would recommend coming to the Coco area and diving here....Feb is a great time for mantas at Catalina Islands. Bat Islands are not accessible during this time of the year due to the Papagayo winds out of the north. You can stay either in Playa Hermosa which is nice and quiet with a fantastic beach and dive with Diving Safaris or stay in Coco which is a bit more upbeat, although the beach is so-so in my opinion, and I say this because I do live in Coco. You have a lot of options in Coco...I would recommend Summer Salt or Rich Coast.

Hi Calvin,

Like Kiki said, Coco is a good place to be and rivermonkey is right, Bat island is not in season in January but the Catalinas should be great by then for the manta rays.

As for food, there are 4 supermarkets in town (good ones as well) and you could easily cook yourself. There are some condo's for rent in Coco and Hermosa.
Playa Hermosa has a little nicer beach, but less activity like restaurants, and bars.
Coco is a small busy fishing town and has a great atmosphere.

We just opened a second location in Hermosa on the premises of a boutique hotel Bosque del mar.
Have fun planning your trip and if you need any more info just send us an email
dive@richcoastdiving.com

regards,

Brenda

Thank you for all the suggestions and feedback. It has been most helpful. As I talked with my friends, we finalized our trip to Playas del Coco with Deep Blue Diving. We look forward to our visit to Costa Rica and the rich waters around it.

I just spent about 10 days at Playas del Coco and had a great time. I dove with Deep Blue Diving and I thought they were excellent. I did their dive and hotel package and stayed at La Puerta del Sol for one week with 5 days of diving.
Even though I was the only client they had (it was the slow season) they took me out every day and we had some great dives. Sometimes the visibility wasn't great but I still saw tons of rays and eels and reef sharks. I really had a lot of fun and I thought all the staff were great.
And the food in the restaurant at La Puerto del Sol was top notch and really reasonably priced. It was the best food, at the best price, that I have had in my two trips to Costa Rica.

I also went to Puerto Viejo to do some diving. I was really disappointed with that part of my trip. I was diving with Reef Runners, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. On one dive day, I showed up at 8 am, as arranged the day before, for a day of diving, but we had to wait till 10:30 because they had taken two people out for a Discover Scuba course instead and left about 7 people to wait two and a half hours. It was never clear who was in charge or if anyone had any idea of what was supposed to happen next. When they would cancel dives, they wouldn't call the hotel so I could rearrange my plans, they would just tell me when I showed up. It is a real pain to waste time on a vacation when you could have made other plans.
Also, their dive boat has no ladder, which means divers are being yanked in by the captain. I'm too old for that treatment at this point in my life. It's really no way to run a business.

Having become frustrated with Reef Runners, I tried to go out with Crocodive, who are apparently more professional. Unfortunately, they never answered their phone, so I can't comment on their operation, though I did see them out on the water and their boat looked considerably better than Reef Runners, for whatever that's worth.

I'd go back to Playas del Coco again in a heartbeat. I wouldn't bother with Puerto Viejo again. That was a big, big disappointment.

I just spent about 10 days at Playas del Coco and had a great time. I dove with Deep Blue Diving and I thought they were excellent. I did their dive and hotel package and stayed at La Puerta del Sol for one week with 5 days of diving.
Even though I was the only client they had (it was the slow season) they took me out every day and we had some great dives. Sometimes the visibility wasn't great but I still saw tons of rays and eels and reef sharks. I really had a lot of fun and I thought all the staff were great.
And the food in the restaurant at La Puerto del Sol was top notch and really reasonably priced. It was the best food, at the best price, that I have had in my two trips to Costa Rica.

I also went to Puerto Viejo to do some diving. I was really disappointed with that part of my trip. I was diving with Reef Runners, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. On one dive day, I showed up at 8 am, as arranged the day before, for a day of diving, but we had to wait till 10:30 because they had taken two people out for a Discover Scuba course instead and left about 7 people to wait two and a half hours. It was never clear who was in charge or if anyone had any idea of what was supposed to happen next. When they would cancel dives, they wouldn't call the hotel so I could rearrange my plans, they would just tell me when I showed up. It is a real pain to waste time on a vacation when you could have made other plans.
Also, their dive boat has no ladder, which means divers are being yanked in by the captain. I'm too old for that treatment at this point in my life. It's really no way to run a business.

Having become frustrated with Reef Runners, I tried to go out with Crocodive, who are apparently more professional. Unfortunately, they never answered their phone, so I can't comment on their operation, though I did see them out on the water and their boat looked considerably better than Reef Runners, for whatever that's worth.

I'd go back to Playas del Coco again in a heartbeat. I wouldn't bother with Puerto Viejo again. That was a big, big disappointment.

Thanks for the detailed feedback 'subdewd'. It's really helpful to have a personal feedback on the diving operator and hotel. We're looking forward to the diving and will probably explore nearby during our surface intervals. We'll probably stay in the local Coco area. If you have suggestions, please do let me know. Thanks!

So, my friend and I had a great time in Playas del Coco (Guanacaste). We had to postpone our trip until just now, however (May 29 - June 5, 2010). We did about 11 dives and saw a very different variety of creatures and fishes, compared to the Caribbean.

Best time for diving
While most tourists go during the dry (winter month) season, we were told that summer months are the best for diving (warmer and calmer waters, better vis). June and July were reported as the best time. Yes, it's the rainy (err, 'green') season, but the mornings are nice and sunny, and there may be some rain in the afternoons.

Dive shop
There are a few dive shops near Playas del Coco. Rich Coast Diving, Summer Salt, and Deep Blue Diving seemed to be most prominent, and we chose Deep Blue Diving. Prior to the trip, I had great communications with Oliver at Deep Blue, and it carried through into our dive trip itself. Great dive staff and guides. They take care of your equipment (rinsing, bringing to and from the boat, setting up tanks), which took me a while to get used to.

Dives and dive sites

We did the bed/dive package which gave us 2 local dives per day and 1 night dive. However, it seems that they rarely do night dives (3-4 a year) and after doing some local diving, we could see why. Waters can be rough (some currents and surges), which is more pronounced in the evenings. We opted against a night dive and did a 3-tank dive one day. Catalina Islands (giant mantas, whales) are open during winter months, while the Murcielago Islands (bull sharks, some giant manta rays) are open during summer months. There are several local dive sites. Here's a quick summary of some of the dive sites we dove. Surface water temps ~ 84-86 F; bottom temps ~ 77-78 F. Local dive sites generally had a line to the bottom for descents and ascents, but divers should feel comfortable with doing them free. Dramamine is recommended for all dives.

Punta Argentina: Surges and mild currents can be common. Lots of balloonfish, scorpion fish, sea horses, and moray eels. Vis 20-50 ft. Max depth ~ 75 ft.
Tortuga: Surges can be common. Reef white-tip sharks and stingrays are common. Iron shipwreck with large schools of grunts. Look for eagle rays in distance. Vis 10-60 ft. Max depth ~ 65 ft.
Virador?: Mild currents. Somewhat of a sloping wall dive. Reef white-tip sharks, moray eels, balloonfish, scorpion fish, triggerfishes. Vis 30-60 ft. Max depth ~ 75 ft.
Monkey's Head: Somewhat of a sloping wall dive. Small stingrays, nudibranchs, moray eels, scorpion fish, gobies, blennies, sergeant majors. One of my favorite dive sites. Vis 30-60 ft. Max depth ~ 65 ft.
Murcielago Island (front and back): 70 min (rough) boat ride. Bull sharks on the front side of the island, as well as sea stars, parrotfish, and damselfish. A few giant manta rays passed by quickly. Front side max depth ~ 100 ft. We saw 4-6 giant manta rays coming back and forth on the back side of the islands where the cleaning stations were. Back side max depth ~ 80 ft. Vis 50-100 ft on both sites. Free descents and ascents. The highlight of the second dive with the mantas was that we witnessed one manta having a shark fishing line looped around one of its cephalic lobes, which was very distressing. It ran back the length of the ray and then into a big knotty bundle. When the DM saw this, he swam after it in attempts to cut the line. The moment he latched onto the line, the manta ray was very startled and took off into the blue. We lost sight of the DM --- he later reported that it took him for a ride and unfortunately, his knife didn't work well enough to cut through the shark line. Seems the manta also hit him pretty hard with a wave of its cephalic fin. A few moments later, he returned, cursing his knife. A few minutes later, the same manta came back and I pointed it out to the DM. He swam towards the manta and grabbed onto the line. I felt this second time, the manta knew the DM wanted to help and was far more calm (the DM later reported the same). Fortunately, this time around, his knife did the job and he was able to free the manta from the shark line. This was one of the highlights of the entire trip!
Playpen: A lazy flat bottom dive with lots of rocks. A bit of a drift dive with mild surges. Look for lots of small fishes and creatures in the rocks. Some fishes wait for divers to lift up rocks (searching for food). Look for lots of urchins camouflaging themselves with shells and rocks. Vis 40-60 ft. Max depth ~ 50 ft.
Turning point: Somewhat of a wall dive. Reef white-tip sharks, large schools of fish, moorish idols and tahitian stingrays. Vis 40-60 ft. Max depth ~ 75 ft.

Hotel
With the dive/bed package deal, we stayed at Hotel La Puerta del Sol. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, especially with great staff members (Elizabeth). She always did her best to ensure we were comfortable and enjoying our stay. She was always happy to call around regarding various questions or helping set up tour guides. It even has a salt water pool.

Food
Rice and beans. Seriously, that's the main and sometimes, only thing you'll find. The main road has lots of restaurants. We were advised to stay away from the Papagayo restaurants (not as good food?), so we focused primarily on the sodas (local and small restaurants). Casados (rice, beans, salad, and choice of meat) are available at most any soda. Have a refreshing fruit smoothie --- they are AWESOME. We ventured out to some Italian restaurants (pizzeria and pasta), but didn't really care for the quality of the food. There are 3 supermarkets in the area where you'll find most anything and everything. Subway is also there should you want something different from rice and beans.

Transportation
We opted against renting a car. Deep Blue Diving arranged a taxi for us (~ $35), which I believe was more economical than getting a taxi ourselves at the Liberia airport. You can get local taxis in Coco to take you around the town or to nearby beaches for a few dollars. Most eco-tours can pick you up at your hotel, so that works out also. And after having an eco-tour guide pick us up and take us on various dirt roads to reach the site, we were very glad not to have driven ourselves (and gotten lost).

Money
Dollars are accepted most anywhere, but you'll get Colones back. Most places will charge a 5% fee for using credit cards, so we opted to pay the dive shop using cash. We had little trouble exchanging traveler's checks at local banks for Colones (smaller service fee, compared to cashing them into dollars), but just visit them at non-busy times. ATMs are also widely available, but just check the fees your own bank may charge.

Back
Top Bottom