Cotton Mouth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAKristey

Reaction score
I know I've read this somewhere before, but I cannot seem to find the thread. I would very much like to get my own reg/oct/computer set up. One thing I was wondering about...

How truthful are the ads that claim metal parts help reduce cotton mouth? If it really makes that big of a difference, I'll go with metal parts, if not, then no biggie. I realize that there are other factors I should look into, but am curious about this. (Being a newbie and all...)

Thanks!

Kristey

Hi SCUBAKristy,

This recent thread on dry mouth contains a rather extensive post about possible remedies----> http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11161&highlight=scuda.

As for regs with fins & other metal devices to moisturize the air, the notion is that water vapor in the diver's exhaled air will condense upon these. With inhalation, the bone dry air from the cylinder will pick it up and deliver it back to the diver. Obviously, the cooler the fins the better so results are, to a point, more satisfactory as water temps drop.

I have dived several Sherwood regs with "moisturizing fins." While I definitely found them to be helpful, they were not 100% effective in reducing dryness of the mouth.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

to reduce cotton mouth is to be very well hydrated (drinking lots of water and/or sports drink).

And I'm also using the SeaCure moutpiece, so since that "tickles" the inside of my cheeks it will stimulate my saliva glands. Plus the Seacure mouthpiece is ultra comfortable. I don't have to bite to hold the reg....cheek pressure is enough.

Stay hydrated and you will not have cotton mouth. Water or a sports drink is all you need.

Eric

Hi ericfine50,

I know many divers, myself included, who stay very well hydrated yet still have episodes of dry mouth.

What is the source(s) of your statement?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I have tried two different Oasis regulators and my dive buddy uses one. It has the metal piece that is suppose to reduce (not eliminate) dry mouth. I found that you can percieve a difference but that it is not that great. If you get dry mouth without, you will still suffer with the Oasis. Just to a lesser extent. For myself, I decided not to go that way.

I appreciate the input, and figured it only helps a little. Y'all made me decide that it shouldn't be a feature that I seek out. (ie, I'll get this one rather than that as it's metal...)

You guys are GREAT!

Kristey

P.S. Doc, thanks for that link!

Hey SCUBAKristey,

I just returned from diving So. Fla. and had really bad cotton mouth, especially with multiple dives. I stayed plenty hydrated, but at times it really distracted my enjoyment. Since my return, I decided to purchase an Apollo prestige ex-2000, (a-107b). The marvel of this reg. is attached at the first stage is a chamber, that follows after a filter that claims any immpurities that may contaminate. And in the chamber there is this wick that you saturate before inserting and before each dive. This increases the % of humidity and therefore virtually eliminates "dry mouth".
Not to mention, the entire system, is great. Lightwieght, balanced, comfy, 2nd stage on a swivel, with 2 adjustments for fine tuning.
Or, you can buy the bio filter itself, and they claim it will adapt to most regs. They run from approx. $160.00-$195.00. This is why I decided on both the 1st & 2nd. As They are high performance value with the Bio filter at a modest price! I'd suggest ScubaToys.com. The drawback is there doesn't seem to be alot of dealers......Servicing???

Let me know what you can find out about this. I've heard of it, but not too many shops in the area have it. I too, tried to stay well hydrated before, during and after my dives this weekend, but yech! (And one would think that being from AZ, I'd be used to breathing such DRY air.)

Thanks for the info.

Kristey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom