Could this be the wetsuit lube that has all the pros and none of the cons??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeXx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone.

I hope I'm in the correct topic for this, as I wanted to share with you all my findings having not found in this or any other forum information about this.

So, I have a bunch of Vegetable Glycerine around from back when I used to smoke/vape and make my own e-liquids.
For those who don't know, vegetable glycerine is very bio compatible and dissolves very easily in water (that's one point that was brought up many times when there were suggestions about a good lube for wetsuits that didn't harm the sea life or our skin).

How about compatibility with neoprene?
Well, from my research it's supposed to be less harmful to neoprene than water! (See attached photos)

But since I am more of a "see for yourself" kind of guy I have started a trial on a piece of neoprene from my wetsuit where I spray every day or other day a bunch of lube and let it be (It's been over 15 days and no rinse done yet). As of today the neoprene still looks as brand new and maintains it's stretch capabilities without degrading.

I will keep posting more updates occasionally but in the meantime I would like to get some opinions and/or feedback of someone who uses regularly this as a wetsuit lube.

Cheers.

Attachments

• legenda.jpg
    legenda.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 53
  • agua.jpg
    agua.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 59
  • glycerine.jpg
    glycerine.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 50
Hi BassO,
According to healthline.com they say the following:
"Glycerin is a humectant, a type of moisturizing agent that pulls water into the outer layer of your skin from deeper levels of your skin and the air. In skin care products, glycerin is commonly used with occlusives, another type of moisturizing agent, to trap the moisture that it draws into the skin."

Im always left at a loss when people try to make simple things comlicated. A gentle shampoo is practicly perfect for this and readily available in most places you are likely to dive.

I agree with you, but from all the forums i read including this one, there were always the questions as if it could damage the neoprene long term and if it would disturb the area for sea life.
What i'm suggesting here is something that wont. Its not complicated and it is certainly allot less expensive than shampoo.
Here in Portugal i can get a 1 litter bottle for less then 7 euros at a local pharmacy. So you can most likely get it for half the price

If it works well, it would be much better to use than a shampoo or conditioner for the environment I think. It’s one chemical verses a huge mixture that exists in commercial products. Based on the chemistry I can’t imagine it causing any issues with the neoprene as well. I think it’s a good idea!

Back
Top Bottom