Couple of New User Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This seems to be the best place to discuss the SDA that I've found. So here's post number one from me. Hi everyone. :D

I received my SDA yesterday, and although I haven't gotten it wet yet I've been reading through all the instructions like a good boy. It's left me with a few queries though. Can anybody answer them for me.

1) The manual says that the safety stop will kick in at 2x the depth set. Does that mean if I set 6 metres that anything above 12 metres will count as a safety stop? or does it only start counting near the safety depth?

2) I can find any mention of what ascent rate the SDA treats as the maximum. 10 metres / min ?

3) What's the "Global pO2 min" setting do? "Maximum" I understand, but I can't see why there would be a minimum set at around 1 bar.

That will do for now.

Thanks

This seems to be the best place to discuss the SDA that I've found. So here's post number one from me. Hi everyone. :D

I received my SDA yesterday, and although I haven't gotten it wet yet I've been reading through all the instructions like a good boy. It's left me with a few queries though. Can anybody answer them for me.

1) The manual says that the safety stop will kick in at 2x the depth set. Does that mean if I set 6 metres that anything above 12 metres will count as a safety stop? or does it only start counting near the safety depth?

It will show the safety stop depth in the display, and your distance to it. I don't think it will actually start counting until you're very close to the set depth. In my experience so far it doesn't use a safety stop 'range' like some other computers like the Suuntos.

2) I can find any mention of what ascent rate the SDA treats as the maximum. 10 metres/ min ?

This depends on depth. You're allowed to ascent faster at depth. Near the surface 100% is 7 m/min. A 10 m/min practice ascent with a student will lead to beeping and red displays :p. See graph below (courtesy of Uemis)

4992914779_9ba276be4c_o.gif

Wow, that gets pretty slow in the shallows (7m/min as opposed to my current computer which alarms at 12). Probably a good thing, but I can see myself blowing it a few times. My buoyancy is pretty good, but in a choppy UK sea you don't always have a choice over those last few metres.

Hence safety stops, and last deco stops often being done at around 6 metres in these parts, which spurred my first question.

No thoughts on the min pO2 setting?

No sorry, I know the setting you mention, but no idea what it does.

Minium means just that... Minimum O2.

i suspect it will become much more important with the release of trimix (and CCR down the road) because then you will have gasses that you will want to get off of for deco reasons. (better deco profile if you keep your PO2 higher)

but, as usual, i have posed the question to Ernst and will likely have a real answer for you shortly :)

I'll have to go back and read some mails from Ernst, but i think it does start counting your safety stop as you get 'within range' it just won't 'clear' you till its happy :wink:

Could very well be. It would tie in with a feature request for an actual countdown for the safety stop, so you actually see what it does :D.

Looks like i was incorrect... here is the real answer from Ernst:

The range between the global min and max values defines the range for the pO2 graph on the left side of the screen. A pO2 below the global min will not be displayed with the graph.

Thanks Laura. Great to have a way of getting these silly questions answered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom