Couple of questions about the DX860G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDNScubaMoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've had the DX860G with a YS-25 strobe for about a year now and just recently did some upgrades and have a couple of questions related to them (I'm getting mixed info from my dealer - who doesn't have much experience with the camera - and other sources):

1) I have added a YS-110 strobe and have an understanding of the D-TTL function but my understanding is the DX860G camera is not compatible with that additional function - is that correct?
2) In order for the YS-110 strobe to fire, it would need either the fiber optic cable or a sync cord and since the camera is the DX860G the sync cord is out - correct?
3) I currently have my rig set up with both the YS-110 and YS-25 strobes attached (110 on left side and 25 on the right). I have a fiber optic cable running from my housing to the 110 with the difuser plate in place and then another fiber optic cable running from the difuser plate to the 25 strobe. Are both fiber optic cable required? My dealer seems to be under the impression that the 110 will fire based off the internal flash without the fiber optic cable and only one cable is required - to the 25 from the housing.
4) I seem to encounter a considerable amount of back scatter when using the strobes and have attempted many different angles but to no avail. I suspect that the back scatter may be coming from the internal flash - is there a way to reduce the intensity of the internal flash?
5) On the DX860, is there a way to set the shutter speed and/or the apeture setting? If so - how???

That's about all for now,
Aaron

I've had the DX860G with a YS-25 strobe for about a year now and just recently did some upgrades and have a couple of questions related to them (I'm getting mixed info from my dealer - who doesn't have much experience with the camera - and other sources):

1) I have added a YS-110 strobe and have an understanding of the D-TTL function but my understanding is the DX860G camera is not compatible with that additional function - is that correct?

A:The YS-110 DS-TTL feature is hit and miss at best with the DX-860G. The DS-TTL feature has proven to work best with the DX-8000G and the DX-1G.

2) In order for the YS-110 strobe to fire, it would need either the fiber optic cable or a sync cord and since the camera is the DX860G the sync cord is out - correct?

A: Most strobes, including the YS-110 have an external sensor. When this sensor reads light it triggers the strobe to fire. This function is cordless slave mode. The fiber optic cable is used as a hose, flowing light through the cable instead of water. The fiber optic cable improves the quality and accuracy of light recieved by the strobes sensor.

3) I currently have my rig set up with both the YS-110 and YS-25 strobes attached (110 on left side and 25 on the right). I have a fiber optic cable running from my housing to the 110 with the difuser plate in place and then another fiber optic cable running from the difuser plate to the 25 strobe. Are both fiber optic cable required? My dealer seems to be under the impression that the 110 will fire based off the internal flash without the fiber optic cable and only one cable is required - to the 25 from the housing.

A: You may be able to use your camera without the fiber optic cables (cordless slave). The configuration you have set up may give you the most accurate results. If you find that the fiber optic cable run from the YS-110 to the YS-25 is distracting and awkward, you may use the YS-25 as a slave to your YS-110 Without the fiber optic cable. I do suggest using the fiber optic cable from your camera to YS-110 in the least.

4) I seem to encounter a considerable amount of back scatter when using the strobes and have attempted many different angles but to no avail. I suspect that the back scatter may be coming from the internal flash - is there a way to reduce the intensity of the internal flash?

A:Be sure to use the built in diffusser on you DX-860G housing. If you feel that the camera flash is still creating backscatter you may mask it completly. Be sure to keep the fiber optic cable port clear. Remember to keep your strobes the same distance away from your lens as your lens is to your subject. If you are taking a picture of a fish that is six inches away from your lens, set your strobes six inches of the side of your lens. You will not be able to power down the cameras internal flash.

5) On the DX860, is there a way to set the shutter speed and/or the apeture setting? If so - how???

A: The DX-860G is a full auto camera. You will not be able to adjust setting to shoot manually.

That's about all for now,
Aaron

Hi Aaron-
Please see responses above. If you have more questions please PM, Email or call us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom