Couple of questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cobra8472

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I haven't dove my BP&W (LCD30) for just over a year (not using something else, just not diving at all- silly :wink:). It has been securely stored in a place, dry and averaging around 23, not touched, however is there something that should be checked prior to first dive? (other than leaks perhaps :))

Also, on my last dives, I was constantly frustrated with how short the inflator/dump hose was. I could reach it perfectly well, but all the time my hand would be in an akward position to place the buttons. I was flailing around quite a lot down under. What I'm wondering is; can I easily replace this for a longer hose? Have any links to suitable replacements?

And the last question- do you clip your inflator hose to your webbing or something similar to keep it from floating away? With what means do you do this?

Very grateful for any help. Anxious to dive her again :D

I am no pro, but I would say safe thing is too take it in and have your local LDS check it over. The zip ties they use to secure the inflator hose to the valve at the bladder do deterierate with time and should be checked out. It all stems on how many dives you have done with it previously and how long it has been since last checked by a qualified person. All in all sounds like you did a good job at storing it.

Secondly you can get a longer inflator hose. Not quite sure of the brand you have but again your lds can surely help you out.

Thirdly I don't recommend cliping your inflator hose and I am sure many would agree, to any part of you and your harness. In an emergency, rapid ascent or descent you may not be able to access the inflator hose fast enough ti inflate or deflate as needed. I use an OMS wing and i keep the inflator down along side of me being it is long enough. You may find once you have a longer inflator hose it will hang properly for you and not be such a bothersome as a shorter one tends to be.

inflate the wing. if it holds air overnight you'll be fine. (it should hold air much much longer but 24 hrs is a good test).

test both the deflate on the hose and the overpressure dump valve in the rear.

check for zip tie where inflator hose meets wing.

regarding the inflator length, it is perfect. what will help you is 2 things. first is maintaining proper horizontal trim in the water. second is fastening a loop of thin bungee under and above the left d-ring of your harness and slipping the inflator thru it when you gear up. that way the hose stays exactly where you need it at all times and accessing it shouldn't be a problem.

check out the 2nd pic down on this link you can see what i'm talking about:
Hogarthian Harness Assembly Instructions

(sorry tobin i tried to find a pic on your site first)

if that's confusing, running a thin piece of bicycle tire tube above the d-ring will also do the trick. while the harness is out of the BP you can put a couple pieces there in case one breaks.

I am no pro, but I would say safe thing is too take it in and have your local LDS check it over. The zip ties they use to secure the inflator hose to the valve at the bladder do deterierate with time and should be checked out.

Ah well maybe. Each end of a DSS inflator hose features a pair (4 total per hose) of genuine T&B UV resistant, stainless tang zip ties. These should last a long time.

Cheap, ratchet type zipties scare me.

Tobin

I haven't dove my BP&W (LCD30) for just over a year (not using something else, just not diving at all- silly :wink:). It has been securely stored in a place, dry and averaging around 23, not touched, however is there something that should be checked prior to first dive? (other than leaks perhaps :))

Inflate your wing and leave it over night. Check that the OPV opens and reseals. If it holds air there's not a lot else to do.

You can check our website for videos on servicing your inflator, if need be.

Also, on my last dives, I was constantly frustrated with how short the inflator/dump hose was. I could reach it perfectly well, but all the time my hand would be in an akward position to place the buttons. I was flailing around quite a lot down under. What I'm wondering is; can I easily replace this for a longer hose? Have any links to suitable replacements?

Try venting via the OPV, and adding gas with the power inflator. Grab the inflator with your left hand, thumb up, palm in. Depress the "add button" with your first finger or middle finger. It's not awkward at all.

The inner tube loop above the left dring is for the LP hose, and you might add a large bungee loop at the left chest dring. The loop should be large enough to easily pass the entire inflator. That will keep it on your chest.

Tobin

I would also attach the LPI and listen for leaks, Make sure the dump valve is hand tight, and not ready to fall off, and give the corrugated hose a good tug to make sure it's secure as well.

...and what everyone else already mentioned.

Tom

Thanks folks, great advice! :D

Quick question; is it alright to use the OPV all the time Tobin? If so, I think that could solve my problems, as I was mostly having trouble with deflating rather than inflating.

I would also attach the LPI and listen for leaks, Make sure the dump valve is hand tight, and not ready to fall off, and give the corrugated hose a good tug to make sure it's secure as well.

There's no reason to pull or tug on the corrugated hose, ever.

All DSS wings use 4 T&B stainless tang, UV resistant cable ties, two at each end of the hose to secure the corrugated hose to the Power Inflator and Wing Elbow.

A visual inspection will reveal if these ties are intact, and if the wing will remain inflated these connections are also air tight.

Yanking on the corrugated hose can lead to damage of the hose itself.

Tobin

Thanks folks, great advice! :D

Quick question; is it alright to use the OPV all the time Tobin? If so, I think that could solve my problems, as I was mostly having trouble with deflating rather than inflating.

It's OK by me. :wink: You have a choice of using the OPV or the inflator. I use the OPV most of the time.

At the surface, to make the initial descent I use the hose, after that I use the OPV ~90% of the time.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom