Courses In Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck diving? Truk Lagoon south of Guam is The Place to go.

We have a few tiny wrecks in Izu, 30 minutes north of Shizuoka. PM me and I send you some info.

I used to live in japan so not up to the latest stuff, but heres my suggestion.

I did my advanced through Guam Tropical Dive station (GTDS), good well organised set up and a nice boat, lot of the milatary seem to dive with them as well. The course should only take 2 or 3 days. Get them to book a hotel for you as well, the owner is in with the local tourist board. We stayed a couple of nights in a cheapy hotel near their shop, then chilled for a few days and they got us a good rate at the Hilton (Hilton tried to up the rate which i was ok with, but GTDS had another word with them and it came down again)

If you are interested in a bit of wreck experience you could dive the Tokai Maru / Cormorant as part of the training (no penetration of course) These two ships are lieing hull to hull in the harbour and can be done in one dive, Tokai is Japanese freighter from WW2 and Cormorant from WW1 neat huh.

If your comfortable and want more wrecks then plan another trip to Truk. Japan is one of the easiest places to access Truk, Yap and Palau from, wish i had done some more trips there, if you dont go you will regret it later

Hey I got my OW with them. One thing about Guam....don't go diving when the Kitty Hawk battle group is there. Or when they have military exercises....Saipan is another place you may want to look up. The airfare to there is about the same as Guam.

:) This has been extremely helpful. I've received loads of great info. Enough to carry me through on a few dive trips. Have heard lots about Saipan and Guam so may begin the adventures there.

Cheers

Curious crazed_dolphin. Where or do you mean, with that dive company? How would I learn when the Kitty Hawk crew will be there?

The Kitty Hawk is currently dry docked and that's no secret but to give actual schedule of ship's movement can get people thrown in jail. When the fleet is in I've seen dive spots PACKED. GTDS and MDS are usually the worst dive shops if the fleet is in. There is no way to plan for the ship being in port but chances are pretty good that it will not be there if you decide to go to GUam. The positive side of the navy and military. If you know any military people on Guam you may want to get them to take you to Gab Gab beach. Nice shore dive there. You swim out and there is a nice wall dive. The island is big enough so even if the fleet is there you should still find LDS that aren't packed but do your research.

One more good bit of info I forgot to give. A lot of the dive shops in Guam offer "free" shore dives on some weekends. The deal is that you show up ready to dive at a predetermined location and they provide a dive master. If you don't know much about the local dive spots it's a good deal.

Reef Encounters in Okinawa has awesome boats and instructors and are much less expensive then most Japanese shops and can teach in English or Japanese. They can arrange for cheap hotels and stuf also

Contact www.reefencounters.org or information@reefencounters.org

Back
Top Bottom