Covert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask and ye shall receive.

I'd try on a medium and see how it feels. You're safely enough in the medium range that you could cinch the straps down to fit. I'm hesitant to recommend a small because of the Covert's single piece construction, you wouldn't be able to swap out components or adjust the cummerbund years down the road if you gained weight, for example. As with all things, your mileage may vary. Try it on before jumping in the water to make sure you're happy with the size before you buy.

You might find some minor changes to the size of the weight pockets and improvement to the sewing, but for all intents and purposes its a new coat of paint.

Thanks. That's what I thought but nice to have it confirmed. :D

Nope, no plans to replace the Express Tech at this time. The Express Tech Deluxe is a BP/W style with a webbing harness while the Covert is a rear inflate BC, sufficiently different enough for them to live together in harmony.

So I am a warm water recreational diver mostly taking flights to the Carribean looking to buy my first BC. To date I have always rented a jacket style while traveling but now I'm considering either the Covert or the Express Tech Deluxe. For my uses what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

So I am a warm water recreational diver mostly taking flights to the Carribean looking to buy my first BC. To date I have always rented a jacket style while traveling but now I'm considering either the Covert or the Express Tech Deluxe. For my uses what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

The really obvious observations are that the Covert is an extremely lightweight, single tank, weight integrated BC with a ~30lb lift bladder. It's not open to much customization like our other products so you can't modify the bladder, vest components, colors, etc. The pockets you see on the front are for your weights, you'll want to clip your accessories to the vest on the d-rings or grommets. We make the Covert from the same 1000 denier material as the Ranger and Tech 10 BCs, making sure it'll last far longer than the average travel BC at this price point. It's major advantage is the durability, size and weight of the BC. You can see below it rolls up very tight, almost the size of your average Sunday newspaper with all the coupons.
7101CV Covert compact 01.jpg

The Express Tech Deluxe is a BP/W style BC which is capable of attaching twin cylinders, comes standard with a 24lb lift bladder which can be swapped for different sizes/styles, and can have a myriad of accessories attached to it. The basic version comes with the backplate, harness and 24lb lift bladder; from there you can add shoulder and lumbar padding, integrated weight systems, different size bladder assemblies, lights/reels/pockets/knickknacks/etc. It's the way to go if you want to engage in more 'tech' type diving while traveling, compared to the Covert.

Jeff.... how do the bladders differ. Does the Covert have a back inflate horseshoe bladder like the Express Tech? Would I notice much of a difference on the surface with them inflated?

Jeff.... how do the bladders differ. Does the Covert have a back inflate horseshoe bladder like the Express Tech? Would I notice much of a difference on the surface with them inflated?

Both BCs have horseshoe style bladders, although the Covert's bladder cover is sewn to the vest section meaning that you can't change the style (inner bladders are replaceable). Both bladders would behave the same on the surface, inflate them appropriately to get your head out of the water but not too much so that you would get pushed forward.

Hi all - I too was looking for a travel BC - I looked at the AL Zuma - but I've had a Zeagle Lazer in the past and really wanted to buy US, so I had my local shop order a Covert for me. Well, it is clearly not made for the female form. According to the measurements, I was on the high end of a small (31" waist) - low end of med - so we ordered a medium...it came nowhere close to fitting - so back it goes. The shoulders were way too "tall" despite cinching them fully. I will say that the weight pockets are situated further back close to the tank, unlike the the lazer that comes more around to the front. And one thing that I didn't really like is the dump valve string is really close enough to the weight dump handle where it looks like it can get tangled up together. I know that the Covert is made to be lightweight, and it is amazingly light. But you sacrifice any padding on the straps. I think if I could have gotten a good fit on the Covert, i would have loved to try it in the water - as it is, I've ordered the Zena in hopes of a better fit and maybe a little less bulk than the Lazer.

Back
Top Bottom