Coz Quick Reference Cheat Sheet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell them you wanna go to Palancar Bricks first dive, Villa Blanca second dive. They’ll always say Palancar is closed because they don’t wanna spend the gas, but the closures circulate and there’s always one or two Palancar sites that are open.

Also here’s a small reference laying by my bed lol
Which "they"? With the ops I have dived with there has never been any hesitation to go to Palancar or even farther south if conditions are good for it. Also, I have never had an op tell me that a reef is closed to diving if it isn't.

FWIW, when I was there last month our dive on Villablanca Wall was our least enjoyable dive of the trip. I think I might call the dive the next time the current is that strong where there is no reef topology where I can duck out of the current. We got swept ahead of the group and ended up in the ferry lane when we came up. That could have been very bad.

Tell them you wanna go to Palancar Bricks first dive, Villa Blanca second dive. They’ll always say Palancar is closed because they don’t wanna spend the gas, but the closures circulate and there’s always one or two Palancar sites that are open.

Also here’s a small reference laying by my bed lol

Another request to name that op.

Another request to name that op.
It would be stupid of an op to lie about something like that when it is so easy to check the validity of what they are telling you. That's not to mention that it would be a bad business plan for an op to only go to reefs north of Palancar when everyone else is taking divers south.

It could be that Palancar and points south were temporarily closed due to high SE winds; that happened a couple of times recently, and it had nothing to do with either the rotating reef closures or dive ops wanting to save fuel.

It could be that Palancar and points south were temporarily closed due to high SE winds; that happened a couple of times recently, and it had nothing to do with either the rotating reef closures or dive ops wanting to save fuel.
Is there a record somewhere of these occurrences? I was told the southern sites were closed during my entire stay last year and am skeptical as well.

Is there a record somewhere of these occurrences? I was told the southern sites were closed during my entire stay last year and am skeptical as well.
I don't know where one can find an official record, but when it happened the last few days I was there in April it was with good reason. Before the southern reefs were officially closed we tried to go to Colombia, but when we got as far south as the northern part of Palancar it was obvious that to go farther south would not have been safe. We dove where we were, and getting out of the water at the end of the dive was pretty difficult. We found out later that while we were in the water they had closed the reefs from Palancar southward because of high SE winds and heavy seas.

There are two types of closures.
1) Scheduled closure per the national park. The schedule for 2023:
rs=w_1209,cg_true.jpeg

2) Closures per the port Captain, for safety. Primarily the PC will close due to winds but he call also close it for extreme rains or other weather. The current PC seems to have settled on a policy of predictions greater than 25 KPH, affecting the reefs, will cause closure. The good news if wind direction will only impact a portion of the reef he will tailor the restriction, most commonly a SSE may only trigger a closure of the southern sites.

There's the spiral bound book called "Cozumel Dive Guide & Log Book' by Underwater Editions that is a small treasure to use. It's out of print, but still can be found on Ebay sometimes $$$.

$125. Yikes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom