coz vs. hawaii vs. tahiti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey everyone!

the wife and i are leaving to coz in 2 weeks! wahooo! thanks to you!

was wondering, since i've only been to hawaii and tahiti, does the diving compare to these places??? better? worse??

never did drift diving....kinda feeling scared.....also, never did a night dive! hmmmm......

any words of wisdom?

thanks!

-dan

deputydan1:
hey everyone!

was wondering, since i've only been to hawaii and tahiti, does the diving compare to these places??? better? worse??

never did drift diving....kinda feeling scared.....also, never did a night dive! hmmmm......

any words of wisdom?

thanks!

-dan

Different oceans different fish....more soft corals in the pacific and south pacific....lots of color....gosh can't really compare the two. For the money for me the Caribbean...I would probably go back to the south pacific if I could afford it.

Drift diving... relax sit back and enjoy the ride....don't try to fight the current...boat drops you off and you drift, when you come up the boat is there to pick you up....it's great. You cover alot of ground. Currents will vary day to day site to site.
Just let the dive op know your experience and go from there.

Night diving like day diving but with a light and different critters. You are going over the 4th of July so you should have a full moon so it will be even better.

Once you get the hang of it, drift diving is so cool, no work involved, well unless the drift is so fast, but thats where you can improve your skills of ducking behind coral like the fish. Take your time getting down as to not waste a lot of your tank. Palacar Reef is awsome.
Topside, while downtown walk on the waterside of the street, you can get where you are going faster and you don't have to go into all of the stores. Eat at Prima's Italian, just off the square. And for something other then shopping, check out the putt-putt mini golf. Dairy Queen side of the square and back to blocks(small blocks) they make their own wine and give you a walkie talkie so you can order more and they will bring it to your area. Enjoy, this won't be your last trip to Coz. Also, Coz was my first night dive, I almost like it better the day diving.
deputydan1:
hey everyone!

any words of wisdom?

thanks!

-dan

wow!

sounds exciting! thanks!

is the palancar reef the same as the palancar gardens??

our dive itinerary is...
palancar gardens, chankanaab - day one
palancar horseshoe, cedral pass - day two

is this enough pretty places that show the best coz has to offer with only 2 full days of diving?!?!?! =(

please let me know if you guys suggest "MUST-DO" dive sites!

your'e all the best! wish i could take everyone here with us! but uh....not so sure the wife would be happy 'bout that!

-dan

wow! sounds so cool! but how do you guys take quality pics on drift dives??? just video?

-dan

wow! sounds so cool! but how do you guys take quality pics on drift dives??? just video?

-dan

deputydan1:
wow!

sounds exciting! thanks!

our dive itinerary is...

is this enough pretty places that show the best coz has to offer with only 2 full days of diving?!?!?! =(

your'e all the best! wish i could take everyone here with us! but uh....not so sure the wife would be happy 'bout that!

-dan

Palancar is a huge reef complex, and the Gardens and Horseshoe are sections of it. There is also Palancar Bricks and Palancar Caves. One of the dives you are doing (I can't remember which) has a very shallow section at the end where you'll have to go around stuff to maintain a 15 foot depth; it's the best safety stop imaginable.

And no, those are not nearly enough to show you all Coz has to offer in the way of neat dives, but I can't say as I could pick out a different 4 dives that would show you any more. You'll just have to go back.

But have you considered adding a night dive? I recommend it highly.

Cheers,

deputydan1:
I've never been to Tahiti, but I can compare Hawaii and Cozumel. While any diving location is a matter of personal preference, I can say that my preference lies heavilty towards Cozumel. Comprared to HI: the water is warmer, the colors are better and the water is clearer.

deputydan1:
never did drift diving....kinda feeling scared.....also, never did a night dive!
Drift diving can be wonderfull or it can be a nightmare. My suggestion is to take everything you don't absolutly need and stick it in your dive bag. Watch the DM's in Coz, they waste little effort because they are streamlined. The biggest problem with divers new to drift diving is they can't go slow enough. Think, during your dive, am I presenting the smallest possible target for the current like that fish over there?

Night diving is an entirely different beast. I do not recommend combinging your first trip drift diving with your first night dive. That's too many new things to deal with.

James

deputydan1:
wow!

sounds exciting! thanks!

our dive itinerary is...

-dan

The sites you have listed are excellent. I might do Palancar Gardens as a second dive instead of Chankanaab and do Santa Rosa wall as a first dive. But, the reality is you probably won't be disappointed in any dive you do in Cozumel.

Palancar Gardens is part of Palancar reef, which is, I think, the largest reef off Cozumel and comprised of many, many dive sites.

I agree I would list Santa Rosa as a must do dive. Palancar reef is very long so there are several sites all of which are good. Columbia shallows is also a good second dive. Hey there all good!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom