Cozumel Carnival date change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

116fire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a heads up, the date for Carnival in Cozumel has been changed due to a local election.

Could you supply a little more info? new dates are ??? Where did you find your info?

Just a heads up, the date for Carnival in Cozumel has been changed due to a local election.

This news is ancient history and was announced back in July or August! And if you don't already have hotel and diving reservations, good luck with that! Carnival sells out as fast or faster than Christmas and Thanksgiving weeks.

Official Carnival dates for COZUMEL only for 2008 are Jan. 23 - 30, 2008

"Fat Tuesday" will fall on January 29, 2008. Here is a calendar of events supplied by the Tourism Board:

Pre-Carnival Events
Sat, January 5, 2008 Introduction of Carnival King and Queen Candidates.
Sat, January 12, 2008 King and Queen Candidates Costumed Performance.
Fri, January 18, 2008 Queen of the Neighborhoods Election Night.
Sat, January 19, 2008 Queen and King Election Night.
Sun, January 20, 2008 Children's Queen Election Night.

Carnival Events
Wed, January 23, 2008 Grand Opening and Coronation of Carnival King and Queen.
Thu, January 24, 2008 Costume Competition (Preschool and Kindergarten categories).
Sat, January 26, 2008 First Grand Carnival Parade.
Sun, January 27, 2008 Second Grand Carnival Parade.
Mon, January 28, 2008 Third Grand Carnival Parade.
Tue, January 29, 2008 Final Grand Carnival Parade.
Wed, January 30, 2008 Carnival Closing Ceremony and Burning of Juan Carnaval

Thanks Christi, I was a bit concerned with the post & all the sites I checked had what you have. Happy New Year to you & the gang.

Thanks Christi, I was a bit concerned with the post & all the sites I checked had what you have. Happy New Year to you & the gang.

The REAL Carnival dates which are based on religious Catholic holidays are in February, but due to the election here on the first Tuesday of February...and the dry laws that are associated with elections...they changed the Carnival celebration so that locals and tourists alike can partake in Carnival festivities the way they were intended....with a lot of alcohol consumption...haha! It's not the first time and it won't be the last time that Carnival is observed on alternate dates for elections.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom