Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A number of countries managed to limit significantly the impact of the virus, keeping the deaths at minimal numbers, and leaving most of their population not infected. But also maintaining their economy open. I mean South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, etc.
And this despite more proximity to China.
Other countries, here in Europe, did react slowly, and we paid an high cost in terms of human lifes, as it happened here in Italy, Spain and France. We needed a severe lockdown for bringing back the virus spread under control. It costed a lot of money, but slowly we are coming out of the tunnel, the economy is slowly recovering, and the health system is now capable of managing the situation.
Unfortunately, a number of other countries did not manage to react even late, and are allowing the virus to spread uncontrolled. It is sad to see that these countries include three of the most rich and powerful countries, US, UK and Brasil. I suppose that this will result in an enormous number of deaths, and simultaneously in a terrible economic damage.
It is pointless for me debating if it is better to reopen entirely so that the economy can recover (but with the virus spreading uncontrolled, I doubt the economy can go well) or closing everything making people becoming so poor to be unable to eat.
Both solutions are wrong.
What is required is to follow the model of what was done in the Asian countries who managed to control the virus better. They did track people violating their privacy, but ensuring to block the spreading. People always wear masks in public (accurately covering mouth and nose, not like here where people wear a mask covering barely their chin), avoid touching each other, and keep strict hygienic procedures. In part is their culture, in part they were forced to act this way. But hey, that worked! It is the only known way, without the need of hoping in a future vaccine, or in some miraculous medicine...

A number of countries managed to limit significantly the impact of the virus, keeping the deaths at minimal numbers, and leaving most of their population not infected. But also maintaining their economy open. I mean South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, etc.
Other countries, here in Europe, did react slowly, and we paid an high cost in terms of human lifes, as it happened here in Italy, Spain and France. We needed a severe lockdown for bringing back the virus spread under control. It costed a lot of money, but slowly we are coming out of the tunnel, the economy is slowly recovering, and the health system is now capable of managing the situation.
Yes, and your streets are relatively safe. Can I come live with you? :^)

Unfortunately, a number of other countries did not manage to react even late, and are allowing the virus to spread uncontrolled. It is sad to see that these countries include three of the most rich and powerful countries, US, UK and Brasil. I suppose that this will result in an enormous number of deaths, and simultaneously in a terrible economic damage.
It is pointless for me debating if it is better to reopen entirely so that the economy can recover (but with the virus spreading uncontrolled, I doubt the economy can go well) or closing everything making people becoming so poor to be unable to eat.
Both solutions are wrong.
What is required is to follow the model of what was done in the Asian countries who managed to control the virus better. They did track people violating their privacy, but ensuring to block the spreading. People always wear masks in public (accurately covering mouth and nose, not like here where people wear a mask covering barely their chin), avoid touching each other, and keep strict hygienic procedures. In part is their culture, in part they were forced to act this way. But hey, that worked! It is the only known way, without the need of hoping in a future vaccine, or in some miraculous medicine...
You may notice something about those success story countries. And something about those failure countries. By some miracle of statistics the oriental countries are full of....orientals. You may have noticed that Spain is full of Spanish, and Italy is full of Italians. Brazil, seems really unlikely is full of people of Portugese, Spanish and Indian descent. For some reason certain groups seem to be more susceptible to Covid. May be family relationships, may be pigmentation, might be blood type. But there it is.

I am afraid of an "I am Legend" type scenario if they rush any vaccine. Mike Judge may have been right but let's hope Richard Matheson wasn't.

You may notice something about those success story countries. And something about those failure countries. By some miracle of statistics the oriental countries are full of....orientals. You may have noticed that Spain is full of Spanish, and Italy is full of Italians. Brazil, seems really unlikely is full of people of Portugese, Spanish and Indian descent. For some reason certain groups seem to be more susceptible to Covid. May be family relationships, may be pigmentation, might be blood type. But there it is.

Carpets are Oriental. People are Asian.

Other than that, what's your point? That this is more genetic and less behavioral?

It could be that there was already a regional exposure to a related less virulent virus that conferred some limited immunity or mitigation of disease in one region that is not present in another region.

Anything to blame it on something besides what some people in some countries are not willing to do while others are.

It could be that there was already a regional exposure to a related less virulent virus that conferred some limited immunity or mitigation of disease in one region that is not present in another region.
This is one of the things I think may be having an effect. Lots of coronavirus exposure. I think there are other factors too. Whatever it is, it is there. We should be looking into it and helping those whom it makes more at risk rather than denigrating those who are more at risk.

Carpets are Oriental. People are Asian.

Other than that, what's your point? That this is more genetic and less behavioral?
We don't know. But there are reasons and we should look into them rather than assuming that orientals are protected to some extent just because they wear masks.

Back
Top Bottom