Cozumel Dive Report---Loooooong report part 1 and part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azsilver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
April 14th through April 25th we set out on our second adventure to Cozumel!

We flew Phoenix direct to Cancun on America West…it was cheaper than flights to Cozumel….but the schlepping of our gear and luggage from the airport to the Rivera bus, from the bus to the ferry from the ferry to the taxi to the hotel was not all that great. This mixed with the extremely windy condition which made the ocean crossing rough with large swells and waves. As we took our seat on the ferry the staff was handing out lavender plastic bags just incase you got sick. We finally made it to wonderful Cozumel. Our home away from home.

This was our second stay at Casa Mexicana our first was a year ago. It was wonderful to be back and it was truly like coming home!

We had our same Ocean view room as last year. With our own private patio, with patio chairs and a small table and a wonderful view of the ocean and sunsets. The room was large, with AC, nice décor, and very clean with spacious bathroom which had a full-size bathtub with shower, marble vanity, plush towels and hairdryer. The closet was large, including a safety deposit box and an ironing board with an iron…who wants to iron on vacation? Our King-sized bed was firm but very comfortable as they put on a foam pad. The cable TV had about 1/3 or more English channels-some with Spanish subtitles. Next to the desk there was a data port to connect your laptop. The mini frig was a great place to keep our beverage chilled and our other snacks, which we purchased at Chedruai. Chedruai is Cozumel's largest grocery/department store less than a mile away. We kept a variety of fruit and snacks in our room. We did not eat lunch after diving just had our snacks in the room.

We had the Romantic Escapade package at Casa Mexicana. A beautiful fruit basket was delivered with chilled champagne and champagne flutes to our room as part of our package. They also furnished wonderful terry robes too!

The whole Casa Mexicana staff as always was extremely helpful and very attentive. This started with registration, the bellboy, maintenance, and housekeeping and continued with the entire staff who contributed to the smooth and professional operation. Our check-out was also very efficient with no surprises or “extra” charges added to our bill.

It was great to see both Fernanda and Romy again. They both are very special people extremely helpful and friendly. In our correspondence and reservations prior to our stay and during our visit.

Each morning at breakfast Jimy would warmly greet and serve us as he had the year before. We met Jaime for the first time and he was a wonderful host who made sure everything during breakfast was running well. He was also very helpful answering our many questions about Cozumel.

Each day we had a very tasty breakfast buffet (included in the price of the room): eggs or omelets were made to order, prepared by Luis for us. The breakfast buffet had many items including bacon, sausage, potatoes, French toast, pancakes, beans, Mexican egg entrées, sweet rolls, croissants, bread, fresh fruits, fresh juices, milk, coffee, tea, cereals, and yogurt.

We were close to many great restaurants, shopping and downtown with little need for taxi as we walked throughout the downtown area and the square. We always enjoy walking around and especially on Sundays seeing the locals with their families enjoying a night out without the pod people.

We ate at many of Cozumel’s exceptional restaurants. The food in Cozumel is great. There is no need for an all inclusive option with the many dining opportunities available.

We returned to the French Quarter one of our favorites from last year and had many enjoyable meals there. The menu has Louisiana Traditional food along with steaks, chicken and seafood. We had many items on the menu and each meal was great. We always enjoy the Key Lime pie. It was good to see Mike again, the owner. He is a great host and his restaurant serves wonderful food. Located one block south of the downtown plaza on Ave 5 between Salas and Calle 3.

We went to El Moro for the first time it is an excellent authentic Mexican restaurant and we had great shrimp “shrimp on wire" (shrimp-kebob) and Chicken Mole and a garlic lime soup. Many locals and tourist at this restaurant you must take a taxi as it is at Avenida 75 Bis Norte, between Calles 2 and 4.

Guido's Italian food was as enjoyable as usual make sure you get the garlic bread, located on the waterfront, between 6th and 8th North. We ate on the Patio with under the canopy of the huge blooming fuchsia colored Bougainvillea Tree---it is so large that it is a tree not a bush.

Mesa 17 is new restaurant open less than a year at a beautiful location at the top of the little hill that's on the southeast corner of the Corpus Christi Park. Glenn and Trish Terrell are the owners. Glenn is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in New York. He specializes in ethnic cuisine, especially the foods of Southeast Asia, Latin America/Caribbean, and the Middle East. The food was fantastic and so was the service. Both Glenn and Trish are lovely people. We sat outdoors on a patio overlooking the Corpus Christi Park and the beautiful church. Scott had the Shrimp and Lobster Spring Rolls with Mango Sweet and Sour Sauce and I had the Lime Chicken soup and we both had the Chile-Crusted Chicken Breast with Sour Orange Rum Sauce. I really enjoyed the fried plantain chips and the black bean humus, YUM! We enjoyed everything just no room for desert. We ate dinner with delightful couple we met on our dive boat from Toronto Canada, Jane and John who also happened to being staying at Casa Mexicana as well.

Pepe's Grill was still as great as it was last year and if you want steak or prime rib, (I had filet minot and Scott had prime rib) they had the best beef we have ever tasted and the Bananas Foster was to die for and what a presentation! The view from our window was beautiful as we watched the sunset. It was expensive but excellent food. Located between Calle 3 and Salas, one block south of the main ferry docks.

The El Museo (Museum Restaurant) is a nice place to eat breakfast and lunch; we ate lunch there our last day as we were not diving. The panoramic view of the ocean across the Yucatan Channel to Playa del Carmen from the second floor was wonderful The food good but it is not gourmet and the menu simple with sandwiches and the like. Located on the waterfront at Calle 6.

If you want to stay in your room and eat, Casa Mexicana does have room service with a limited menu. We ordered our food from room service and had sandwiches, French fries and soft drinks delivered the evening after our night dive. The food was good and the service exceptional.

continued..........

Please see part two for the rest of the Story!

AZDivers
Ruth & Scott
Phoenix Arizona

It was so long I had to post it in two parts......

The pool at Casa Mexicana is not large and it is on the same floor as reservations with pool lounge furniture and a bar to the side--from pool you have a view overlooking the ocean well above the street and the pod people. The pool area is a nice place to relax and read a book or sunbath. After being in the ocean scuba diving and spending about an hour and a half on the beach at Playa Palancar during our surface intervals each day, a large pool(s) or beach is not of great importance to us. If we felt like going to the beach we could just take a Taxi to a beach.

Both the escalator and elevator at Casa Mexicana was a very welcome site after diving or walking about town.

The ocean is across the street--small sandy area next to the sea wall with a few local children swimming in the ocean having fun.

We had the pleasure of meeting Holly of the Island Photo Shop. http://www.photocozumel.com/pages/958043/index.htm Holly and Armando Alentado are the owners; their shop is at El Cid La Ceiba Resort. I now know why there are rave reviews about Holly and Armando---she is wonderful teacher of UW photography---I took her class. And she is really great with customer service and information and a really nice person. Talk to Holly prior to buying any UW cameras and take one of her classes!

We spent our days and one night (one night dive), diving with Liquid Blue Divers. http://www.liquidbluedivers.com/ Their dive shop is located across the street from the French Quarter restaurant. Roberto along with his lovely wife Michaela own Liquid Blue Divers. Roberto operates the diving side and Michaela manages the business portion. Roberto and his brother Jorge are the DM’s for this “Class Act” dive operation which understand the meaning of customer service. LB is able to offer longer bottom times than most of the operators on Cozumel as they use ST 100 and 120cf tanks. They also use fast, small boats with a maximum of 6-7 divers per boat and a Dive Master and of course a Captain.

Each morning before our dives Micheale would greet us at the dock as we waited for the dive boat and she would also join us at our surface interval at Playa Palancar. Micheale was great to work with as we arranged our reservations and answered our questions. She was very promote in answering our email. There were no surprises when settling our bill and we are enjoying our Liquid Blue Divers T-shirts.

The night before our first dive we met Michael and Roberto at their dive shop…how could I forget Garfield…their cat. You must stop by the shop and meet him is has quite a personality. We dropped off our dive gear and signed our paperwork. I asked to Roberto look over my regulators. He rearranged my hose for my pressure gauge in a more convenient place on my first stage port.

Each day they would take our gear to the boat and set it up for us and take it back to their dive shop and rinse and hang it up to dry. It was So great not having to drag everything back to the hotel and wash and hang it up and bring it back to the boat each day.

Diving this year was much different than last year…between the wind and the ever changing and sometime ripping currents it was much more arduous. The clarity was not that great which is not the usual for Cozumel. One day we saw sponges spawning, which turned the water a milky white. All in all we still enjoyed our dives and being on the beautiful coral reefs with sponges, Gregorian fans, and the swim throughs and with all the varied sea life.

I just know that the lobsters knew they are protected in the marine park as they are really bold and huge unlike the lobsters in we see Southern California near the Channel Islands. We saw all the usually fish, rays, nurse sharks etc which are too numerous to name. We saw the largest parrot fish…they were giant. I did not know they grew to be that large. Of course there were the large barracuda that would swim next to me during many dives. I would have this feeling that something was following me.

We dove 8 days with 2 tank dives and one night dive for a total of 17 dives. Our depth ranged from 54 to 122 ft. Our bottom times averaged well over an hour per dive. The dive sites were: San Francisco reef; Columbia Wall; Columbia deep; Palancar Caves; Palancar Gardens; Palancar Horseshoe; Palancar La Francesca; Santa Rosa wall (we dove this north to south as the currents had turned and there was a thermal clime with up currents-the water shimmered like the air does as it moves above the asphalt on a hot summer day). Paseo de Cedral; Tormentos; Punta Tunich; Yucab; San Francisco, and two sites Jane one of fellow divers named, the first in between the Palancar sites: “the mystery Palancar site” and the second in between the Columbia sites: “the mystery Columbia site”.

We cannot wait for our next trip to Cozumel to stay at Casa Mexicana and to continue to scuba dive with Liquid Blue on the wonderful Caribbean reefs. And I can not wait to shoot some UW photos now that I have taken Holly’s Class.

As you can tell from our report we love Cozumel for diving, the people and of course the wonderful food!

AZDivers
Ruth & Scott
Phoenix Arizona

azsilver:
It was so long I had to post it in two parts......

As you can tell from our report we love Cozumel for diving, the people and of course the wonderful food!
Yes, we can tell!
5 Star report, wonderfully written. Thanks for sharing!

Nice report, I stayed at the Casa Mexicana last Dec and it was excellent.

Moodiejeff:
Yes, we can tell!
5 Star report, wonderfully written. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed the report ...I just need to figure out how to post my photos...sorry no UW just land photos

Thanks, AZsilver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom