Cozumel Dive!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strick

Reaction score
What can I say....OUTSTANDING!

I recently traveled to Cozumel and dove with the Dive Paradise (http://www.diveparadise.com) dive shop and had a blast! Unfortunately I was unable to spend alot of time diving due to my schedule, but I was able to get 2 dives in. One dive was on the Santa Rosa Reef... simply breath taking, I don't even know where to begin to describe this dive!! The second dive was fairly close to shore on a new wreck ( C-54 GunShip ). I had a blast going into the wreck exploring what wonders that layed inside and around it. The water was 100+ visability and 83degrees F temp. No clouds .... WOW!! I have never dove under perfect conditions as then.... I loved every minute!! The crew of the boat (TANGO) was outstanding and very professional! Can't wait till I have another visit to Mexico for some more diving!
=-)

I've been to Cozumel twice, and to Cancun 3 times. I'm primarily an east coast wreck diver, but getting away down south to dive warm water is a great change. And Cozumel is the best I've ever seen. There's something to be said for laying on the bottom in 200 feet and looking up and seeing the dive boat. Awesome vis, and mucho marine life. (And don't forget the Corona).

I love Coz. It's my favorite place to go. The diving is just breathtaking. Can't wait to go back!

Splendid that you enjoyed your 2 dives on Coz. I adore the place.

However, the wreck of which you speak is neither the C-54, nor new.

Here's a little piece I wrote on it in case you are interested:

"The Felipe Xicotencatl, or C-53, was built in Florida in 1944, donated to Mexico by the US in 1962 & retired from service in 1999, having variously served as a minesweeper, anti-drug patrol boat, search and rescue ship, troop transport & Mexican Naval Academy cadet training craft.

She was sunk on June 6, 2000 just outside of Balones de Chankanaab, on a sandy plain between Tormentos & Chankanaab. As such, don't expect to dive anything other than the wreck--the immediate environs are strictly featureless sand flats. All dive ops make regular trips. It could be done as a shore dive from Chankanaab Park under the proper conditions, hitting the Balones de Chankanaab on the way out, but would be a very healthy swim with scant to see in transit. No special certification is needed for this dive, although it most definitely is an overhead environment & the inexperienced diver should understand what this means & be comfortable with it.

Marked by a highly visible buoy, the vessel is 184 feet long & 33 feet wide, and consists of 4 decks. The sinking job by the Mexican Navy & wreck experts was quite remarkable in that it rests almost perfectly upright & flat with the bow facing SSE & stern NNW. According to my depth gauge, the superstructure starts at 26', the main deck at 54' & the bottom, which is secured to prevent movement in storms, is at 78'. The craft is intact as sunk with the exception of one rudder which is now about 25' to the stern.

While the wreck is not especially tight inside if you follow the marked route, it is snug at points & of course buoyancy control throughout is a must. There are large plates removed from the sides at regular intervals, which usually provides ample light & a ready escape route. Do be aware, however, that the edges of removed areas are sharp in spots, and there are opportunities to snag/impale yourself on main deck & superstructure features, so best not to go bolting about. Some hydroids & small anemones are taking hold, another reason to watch what you are contacting. The primary route through the boat is marked with penetration line & the occasional tag, and these are easy to follow. There are possible side trips, but I'd suggest you skip them unless wreck experienced. Do take a light if possible.

A good approach is to drop in behind the stern & take in the two massive screws, then raise to the aft most hold & enter through the main deck. The entry is a bit snug, so make sure you don't have a case of the "danglies." Simply follow the line to the fore, which later reverses and takes you back to the aft for exit. There is no need to hurry the dive, as any normal diver will have plenty of bottom time for a leisurely tour of the innards, which include holds & cabins, and exterior.

Not to in anyway discourage divers from doing this enjoyable site, but rather to prepare them, IMHO the wreck currently is a somewhat nasty appearing affair. The first layer of surface growth is well underway and is of the expected green algae, presenting a dirty & scummy mien. That a number of unspeakably boorish divers have written their names/initials in this doesn't make it anymore fetching. The algae has also attracted animal life of somewhat more substantial cortical endowment, such as piles of small, drab snails which look like animal droppings until one gets closer. Finally, the overall atmosphere is not enhanced by heavily peeling paint, gray linoleum tiles starting to detach from the floors & the odd bit of unremoved insulation hanging from the ceiling. I did not observe any traces of petroleum residue, although I understand from contacts there was some present at the time of sinking.

On a brighter note, I did observe a modest sized Nassau Grouper at the stern who apparently likes to take up position in the crow's nest, a couple of modest sized Great Barracuda just below the surface exercising their notorious curiosity, small schools of Glassy Sweepers and Silversides holding forth inside, and a variety of juvenile tropicals. There is every reason to expect that the wreck will continue to encrust & draw fish life, and be quite a nice piece someday."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I have written this before and will write it again:

In my opinion, Cozumel is the very best diving in North America!

We go there at least once a year and most years, twice. It is an addicting place! Further, we have never had a bad dive there. I cannot say that about too many other places we have been.

Scorpionfish--ex officio member of the Cozumel Chamber of Commerce!

Back
Top Bottom