Cozumel in July or skip it and go to Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

violinfather

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I love Cozumel! We have been there the last two seasons over Christmas and the diving was great. Many Eagle Rays, turtles, Blacktip Reef Sharks at Columbia Deep, and even a Caribbean Reef Shark or Bull Shark at the Devils Throat. But what about July and August?

For double the cost I can travel to Palau and Yap and see some nice shark and Manta action. But I love Cozumel! Will we see any Eagle Rays or sharks in the summer in Cozumel?

You are comparing apples to oranges - two completely different oceans :)

Summer diving is great in the Caribbean, especially here. However, Cozumel is not ever known for big pelagic life. We have ALOT of turtles, especially in the summer. Eagle Rays are seasonal - but it is not uncommon to spot one occasionally during the summer months - but there are never any guarantees - you'll have to talk to God for that.

Summer IS Whale shark season, and although you won't find them diving in Cozumel, you can take a day trip that can be set up by your dive op of choice to swim with hundreds of them off the coast of Cancun. July is peak season for that.

My advice, regardless of where you decide to go - don't fill your bucket full of expectations of specific animal sightings. Expectations lead to disappointment - why set yourself up for that? Be grateful for the vacation - you'll be diving in crystal blue water with amazing coral and marine life.- that's never a bad thing.

Enjoy your July vacation regardless of what you decide to do :)

You also might want to consider what Micronesia is like in July-August and whether you want to spend all that money to get there at what may be a suboptimal time for diving. Those months are smack in the middle of the rainy season and also at the beginning of typhoon season, though the weather there is generally unpredictable in any case. Topside, make sure you're staying in a hotel or on a boat with great a/c. I've been to Palau in March and May and both months were extremely hot and humid, May especially so when the tradewinds stopped blowing during the middle of the trip. I can't even imagine what it would be like in the summer months.

My trip to Yap was in the month of October and I recall it being somewhat comfortable on land, but that was a long time ago. The manta dives in Yap were almost disappointing - a couple mantas finally came through after a long wait at an otherwise boring spot of sand in the middle of one of the channels. You're better off with the Kona night dive IMO if mantas are your primary purpose, or better yet rescheduling your Yap trip to the manta mating season which runs Dec-Mar IIRC. I second Christi's point on expectations leading to disappointment. There are plenty of other reasons to enjoy Yap, however, besides the mantas.

On the other hand, I've had excellent diving in Cozumel in July. You can't go wrong for the price.

Christi is right. You see what you see when you dive. Going on a trip to see something specific, unless the area has potloads of the critters, is setting yourself up to fail.

A nurse shark sighting or two is virtually guaranteed over a week in Coz, but for "real" sharks, Palau is much more consistent (though they'll be mainly white tips).

IMHO having been to both.... I can say that Palau is great any time of year BUT the best time is Dec-Mar when the sharks are mating, so schooling in large numbers. We were there the first week of December and saw 4 different types of sharks every day, not just white tips. In fact, one dive we had 40+ huge grey reef sharks in a school right in front of us, but I would say we saw an average of a dozen sharks per day. I have video on my website. I would do a liveaboard there.... that gives you 4-5 dives per day instead of just 2 from land-based due to location. The liveaboards sit out at the reefs so only 5-10 min boat ride to the dive sites. Land-based you are 1 hour or moire boat ride out and back each way. There are also mantas and we had 2 dives with 8 mantas each time. Being on a liveaboard meant we were 5 min away when they were spotted...
My thoughts on Palau.... GO if you can, but do a liveaboard for best value, and realize it is ugly 2 days of travel each way and a few weeks of jetlag when you get back.

robin

I've been to both. Christi is correct: Cozumel and Palau are like apples and oranges. Palau is much better than Cozumel. Lots more diversity in marine life. I'd rank the Hawaiian Islands 3rd, Cozumel 2nd, and Palau 1st.

Just been in Palau with FisnFins. I have been diving over 30 years and lived by the Red Sea, a long time ago. Palau was magnificent, as good as RS ,FishnFins staff and operations is top of the line. Bring a reef hook for Blue Corner...you won't be disappointed.

Just been in Palau with FisnFins. I have been diving over 30 years and lived by the Red Sea, a long time ago. Palau was magnificent, as good as RS ,FishnFins staff and operations is top of the line. Bring a reef hook for Blue Corner...you won't be disappointed.

I too just returned from a seven day Liveaboard for a total of 29 dives and every single one was marvelous! Checkout Matt's video on Palau that is exactly what I saw in May. I can't say enough about the upscale quality of the Liveaboard (by the way, Fish n Fins and Hunter III are sister entities). Definitely put this one on your bucket list!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom