Cozumel Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingKDawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are planning a trip to Cozumel in April. Is it inconvenient to stay in Tulum and dive in Cozumel everyday or is it more realistic to just stay in Cozumel if we plan on diving there specifically?

Yes, it would be quite inconvenient, to impossible, depending on who you wanted to dive with. It is hard to get across to Coz on the ferry in time to catch many dive boats for their morning dives. Some will hold for you, some won't. I guess you could always arrange for a private boat with your group, but all in all, you are talking a lot of time, money, and trouble.

I assume you'd drive up from Tulum to Playa for the ferry, find a place to park all day (there aren't many spots really close to the ferry), catch the ferry, ride across, and then get to your dive boat on Coz. I wouldn't do all of that.

If you decide to, buy one way ferry tickets, regardless. They are the same price, and there are two companies that make the run. I'm figuring you wouldn't want to sit and watch one ferry leave and have to wait another hour for the one with the ticket you bought...

Last edited:
Countryguy has pretty well laid out the problems. Personally, I prefer to stay in Playa over Coz but would not face the daily round trip to the island yet alone the drive from Tulum to get to the ferry.

We stay in Playa and take the ferry over, and dive with a shop that has an afternoon (1:30 pm) trip. I would absolutely not stay in Tulum and dive in Cozumel. If I were committed for whatever reason to staying in Tulum, I'd try Scuba Mex in Paamul.

If you are going to dive Coz everyday, I would stay on the island. Riding the ferry, getting to your dive op and taking the ferry back to Playa will eat up a lot of vacation time.

As far as I know only Tank Ha has a direct boat to Cozumel from Playa. This would cost considerably more than a shop on the island!

If you are staying in Tulum, I would dive the cenotes all week long. :D

Yeah, Tulum is about an hour South of Playa del Carmen, the legistics of getting over to the island daily would be hard, not to mention kind of expensive...$12 (or maybe more, not sure of current ferry pricing) each way on the ferry everyday would add up quick.

I've been told that there is some pretty nice diving along the Mayan Riv. coast, but don't know from personal experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom