Cozumel : Topside Activity Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all the advice. Guys you've given me some great suggestions !

Is there any benefit to booking any of this in advance stateside ?

Maybe lunch and a cold beverage at Guido's would be considered.

dashmatrix:
thanks for all the advice. Guys you've given me some great suggestions !

Is there any benefit to booking any of this in advance stateside ?

Hi Dash...actually, you can do the Tulum trip on your own for half the cost and more freedom. It's very easy. You can take the ferry across and either rent a car or take the bus striaght to Tulum. The bus is about $40 pesos ($4 USD) per person each way and is a nice bs with air conditioning, etc. not one of those Mexican busses you see in the movies with chickens running around...haha!

Chitzen Itza is definitely a full day. If you really want to do Chitzen-Itza (aka Chicken Pizza) and have the time, I recommend going over hte afternoon before (by rental car or bus) and staying overnight at the Mayaland Hotel...right on premises at Chitzen Itza. It's beautiful, historic and convenient. You'll be able to tour the ruins the next day early beofre the tour bus crowds and heat of the day. Then, when you're done you can head back to Cozumel...this makes a much more enjoyable trip than starting at 6:00am and arriving back to Cozumel at 10:00pm...packed on a bus with 50 other people. http://www.mayaland.com/hmayaland.htm

I love 'ya Christi, but here I have to disagree with you. Not only is Tulum a beautiful place, but the history is fascinating. You really need a guide to explain what you are looking at, and how/why they built things the way they did. The lighthouse (and why they put it where they did); how the sun comes through the window in the temple at the solstice, their defense system, Tulum's place in the Mayan world, etc, etc, etc.

I love to venture out on my own to explore, but this is one of the places that can only be FULLY appreciated by having a guide. The Mayan people are very proud of their heritage, and it shines through whenever you have the good fortune to spend some time with one of them.

But, that's just my opinion............. and I could be wrong.

nyprrthd:
I love 'ya Christi, but here I have to disagree with you. Not only is Tulum a beautiful place, but the history is fascinating. You really need a guide to explain what you are looking at, and how/why they built things the way they did. The lighthouse (and why they put it where they did); how the sun comes through the window in the temple at the solstice, their defense system, Tulum's place in the Mayan world, etc, etc, etc.

I love to venture out on my own to explore, but this is one of the places that can only be FULLY appreciated by having a guide. The Mayan people are very proud of their heritage, and it shines through whenever you have the good fortune to spend some time with one of them.

But, that's just my opinion............. and I could be wrong.

I should have clarified. You can actually hire a guide on your own at Tulum (or Chitzen-Itza) as well. They are all waiting right at the ticket counter. My point is that you don't need to spend $100 on a tour package (where you are herded around in a huge group) to enjoy Tulum or Chitzen-Itza. A private guide at Tulum was $25 last time I went.

Ferry from CZM to PDC = $22 round trip
Bus from PDC to Tulum = $$8 round trip
Entrance fee to Tulum = $10 pp (Maybe $15)
Private tour guide: $25 ($12.50 pp)

Total cost doing it on your own: $50 to $60 each vs. $100

jakes78:
And who says 48 will be the end (it can always be extended)??

I can honestly say that I hope it gets extended indefinitely. There are too many of us back in the states living vicariously through your exploits. Maybe next year we can have a Jake's reunion!

Skip Chichen itza, and do Tulum with a Cinote dive instead. Give Dennis a call over at Diablo Divers: http://www.diablodivers.com/

He'll pick you up from the ferry dock, and give you an expert personalized tour of Tulum. Then he'll take you to the Cenotes for one of the coolest diving experiences to be had in the area.

Hope you have a great time!

Maredsous:
Skip Chichen itza, and do Tulum with a Cinote dive instead. Give Dennis a call over at Diablo Divers: http://www.diablodivers.com/

He'll pick you up from the ferry dock, and give you an expert personalized tour of Tulum. Then he'll take you to the Cenotes for one of the coolest diving experiences to be had in the area.

Hope you have a great time!
Now that sounds like the best of both worlds! Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Or, you can always go down to the square, grab a bench and a cold one and watch the yankees from the cruise ships pass out from the heat. Good Times.

Back
Top Bottom