Cozumel Trip Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years ago my husband and I went to Coz for a dive trip. My non diving sister joined us. Scuba Tony let her join us on the boat so that she can snorkel. As the other posters mentioned, there really was not much to see since the reefs were deeper and all my sister could see was blue and gray. Fortunately, Carlos the boat captain is one of the nicest people you will meet was great company.

Since then my sister has joined us for another vacation on the island and instead of going out on our dive boat, she booked a snorkel tour. I think she got a lot more out of it than going out on the dive boat. Plus, I think she was grateful that she got to sleep in a little longer than me:wink:

If you stay closer to town, that may give your wife something else to do while you're out diving. I took my non-diving wife to Coz last year ans we stayed at Scuba club Cozumel.

During the day (when I was diving) she would either just chill in the hammocks out next to the boat pier and read a book, she also would buddy up with other non-diving wives and they would make a trip into town to do some shopping, sight seeing, etc... After I returned from my boat dives around 1:30 pm we would meet up for lunch and then sometimes we would go snorkeling in the "shore dive" area right in front of SCC/Blue Angel (they're next door to each other). We'd spend about 20-30 minutes checking things out. We saw a lot of juvenile species... stingrays, octopus, eels, etc... etc...

I really didn't feel comfortable with letting her snorkel off the dive boat as the boat traffic on the channel is like watching the start of an INDY 500!! There are so many boats, going pretty fast, that it's just not safe... IMHO

I think I am finally getting in the right direction. I have been looking to take a non-diver on a dive trip instead I need to be taking a diver on a snorkel trip.
This means shallower water for the snorkeler. I will compromise on the diving. Thanks so much for all of the input. Now I just need to figure a resort to stay with a sandy beach. I have read that most of the beaches are covered in rock at the water line.

I have read that most of the beaches are covered in rock at the water line.

See my first post plus the Aura/Sabor complex (all south of town) and perhaps El Cozumeleno north of town.

Occidental Grand and Allegro both have sandy beaches. We've stayed at both, and we like both resorts for different reasons (occidental has nicer rooms but no ocean front views but the trade off is a beach club on the water that serves lunch...Allegro has many ocean front rooms but the rooms are older and smaller. Rooms are still nice enough and remember you are in paradise, but lunch is not served on the beach. Both hotels have fantastic beaches. Prices are similar for both hotels. Both hotels have on site dive ops that run a snorkeling tour or two. We've never taken a snorkeling tour,
Just remember seeing them up on the board

DeerCreekers
Thanks for the post! You verified my own research! I had narrowed down my choices of hotels to the Sabor/Occidental/Allegro. Spending hours looking at reviews and pictures and videos. I just wanted someone to say they have been there and the beaches are good. Thanks again.

Having stayed at each of the resorts mentioned in this post at least once with my non-diving family we only stay now at the Allegro. It's sister resort (next door), the Occidental Grand is a little plusher but not as convenient to the beach and because of the lagoon between it and the beach you get eaten alive by mosquito's. I don't usually even get looked at by bugs but this place had me chewed to pieces (even with the overpriced bugspray I bought out of desperation) and going out at night was like bug smorgasbord martyrdom.
We're at the Allegro 2-3 x's a year. Wife likes it, great dive shop, good scene for teenagers. Not a bad cab ride to town. Or, if you like you can rent a car for a few. On site or right across the street for a little less.
Iberostar would be a good choice if it weren't for the fact that they make it a pain to dive with anyone other than their on-site shop, Dressel. Dressel is very good for beginners but otherwise they are a bunch of restrictive babysitters.

I have stayed at the Residencias Reef Condos which are next door to the Sabor. Beaches in front of resorts are good, perhaps with some rocky areas but there is a pier which has some wonderful snorkeling. Just a 5 minute walk south will bring you to San Francisco beach club which has soft, white sand and very little rocky areas. I like staying in this area since it cuts your boat ride in half. The only drawback is the 15 minute ride into town. We always rent a car. PICT0469.jpg
Looking north, towards Sabor.
PICT0463.jpg

Hi schoolteacher,
You may have your trip all booked by now, but I just came across this post and wanted to share my Coz tips with you. We certified last year with Buena Ventura Diving. Small groups on the boat (just us on one day), and flexible to your needs. They also offer snorkeling trips, so you could contact them and ask if they could figure out an excursion that suits both you and your wife.
We stayed at Occidental Grand in their Royal section and really enjoyed it. Buena Ventura will pick up at the hotel dock which is a bonus.
The snorkelling off the beach was just okay. Some fish to see and better than nothing. Otherwise, nice sandy beach with restaurant on beach.
Hope your trip is awesome no matter what you do.
Liz

Back
Top Bottom