Cozumel’s diving is so “rushed”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just because you prefer to dive off a yacht or a pristine beach please don't criticize the diving in Cozumel.

Nope, not criticizing Coz diving at all. It's kind of a "it's me, not you" type of thing.

I want to respond (I assume you're looking for responses otherwise why post...:)) but I'm not really sure about the point of the OP. Are you looking for suggestions on how to mitigate some of your perceived negatives or are you just making a statement that your current Coz experience isn't as enjoyable as some of your other dive experiences? Both are valid discussion points.

I find a lot of variation in my Coz experience depending on when I go (high, shoulder, low season), where I stay, and who I dive with. I'm a "planner" so if I know what's coming and what's expected you really have to work to rush me. I'll plan and pre-stage things and once I'm in a groove, you'll have to surprise me to harsh my zen. I guess that's why Coz diving doesn't seem like a thrash to me.

That said it's certainly not liveaboard or dedicated resort diving nor do I want it to be. I like those experiences as well and enjoy the difference. Wouldn't it be awfully boring if all diving was alike? It's a big ocean and there is a multitude of different ways to enjoy it.

Beyond that I'm probably the biggest variable. What I've enjoyed in the past doesn't necessarily work for me today or the future or six moths from now or two days ago etc. etc.. Thank goodness finding what I'm looking for only requires a bit of planning, research, and a willingness to try something different OR NOT...LOL. :) Find your "zen" for today and go have fun preferably diving. :wink: :bounce::bounce::bounce: All IMHO, YMMV.

I guess my point was that my diving tastes have evolved...but I received some helpful tips on how I can make Coz diving feel less rushed...so for that I'm grateful.

Why did you ever think you wouldn't? Okay, I admit I did nothing but boat diving for years before I discovered Bonaire, as I wasn't even aware that tropical shore diving existed on a large scale, e.g., island-wide. Bonaire is the ultimate in non-rushed diving. The polar opposite of Cozumel. We have some friends with whom we have done a few Bonaire trips who have always been reluctant to go with us to Cozumel because they hate the rushed feeling of boat diving.

I had doubts about Bonaire: 1) I don't think I'd like lugging tanks and gear around myself; 2) I've heard that the people aren't all that friendly; 3) flights/hotel is generally more expensive.

Number 3 isn't really a complaint, just an observation. Number 1 and 2 - maybe I should just give it a try and see for myself. One last thing, I'm more experienced now and think I can better handle myself diving (with my buddy) without a DM. So, Bonaire is looking better and better.

Dogbowl isn't criticizing the diving in Cozumel.

Dogbowl, it's long been my practice, other than on lob or dedicated dive resort, to be able to fix my own breakfast in my room. Not all places have a kitchenette but usually a refridgerator and so I'll arrange for hardboiled eggs, cheese, fruits, etc. to be in there for me for brekkie. Then I like to saunter out to the dock or wherever to get on the boat. I totally get you!

Perhaps you should consider doing Coz a little bit differently? A room with a kitchenette perhaps within easy walking distance of pickup and delivery?

I stay at the Casa Mexicana and they provide a buffet breakfast, so breakfast isn't the issue, but it's a rush to get through breakfast and to the shop on time for the morning trip.

It's definitely rushed there, I agree. That said, I like it. I get up early and hate bfast food so I just cram it down. I hate dragging 2 hours of underwater time into 5+ hours. It does tend to wear on me after a few days though and lord knows I've woken up not wanting to dive all together because I'm not feeling the impending rush of the day while on vacation. That said, not my monkeys (boat), not my circus, so I can't make the rules.

I can't imagine how early the shop employees have to get up to deal with getting tanks and gear setup. I get that they're anxious to call it day.

Maybe it was a great place 20 or 30 years ago, but there are way too many people going to Cozumel now. I much prefer diving elsewhere in the Caribbean.

Of course, there’s always the option of afternoon dives...relax, you are on vacation, enjoy your morning.

I find the morning taxis stressful. They remind me of commuting to work. Rushing through breakfast. Rushing to the boat. No wonder half the people blow their air on the first dive. I partially blame the traffic brought on by the cruises.

I personally have found the balance I like having a small OP pick me up at a southern AI. The resort is gorgeous and calm. I'm sleeping and having a super leisurely breakfast while everyone else is rushing to the boats. Dinners are not as good as downtown but we can taxi in for a great dinner whenever we want.

On my last dive of the week 2 weeks ago I was 9 min into my SI when I stepped on the dock. I dropped my gear on a chair and we in the pool 11 min into my SI. I had a margarita by 15 min in. That's a vacation!

I find this forum is very guilty of pushing a certain way of doing Cozumel. I think people would be better served to realize there are many ways to do Cozumel and the quality of that way is related the perceptions of what an individuals definition of the vacation looks like.

I had doubts about Bonaire: 1) I don't think I'd like lugging tanks and gear around myself; 2) I've heard that the people aren't all that friendly; 3) flights/hotel is generally more expensive.

. So, Bonaire is looking better and better.

1) I share the feeling about lugging tanks. 2)The friendliness on people is mostly lost on me 3) found very good prices from South Florida.

Not trying to sell Bonaire or any place for that matter, but I went last year to Bonaire because a friend talked me into a package that was stupid cheap. Honestly I was prepared to "tolerate" the trip, thinking I'll dive once, get a T-shirt and just drink the rest of the days. Mainly because shore dives are NOT my thing, I believe there's a reason for boats to exist.
With that said I was shocked and positively impressed with the place. The boats from the resort were great in all fronts (schedule - non intrusive DM's - actual vessel - ladder), the place where you store/ rinse your gear was right by a pier that would also give you access to a very good area to dive.
So if you feel like diving more than the boat dives purchased, you can do shore dives from the resort without any of the hiking, or lugging tanks to vehicles, and parking, and all the jazz involved in the typical shore dive done in the island.

I personally prefer to pour a to go cup of coffee and walk to the Marina around 6AM and get there around 07:15. Either share a communal breakfast with the crews or stop by the bodega and get an outstandingly good $40 MXN Hamburguesa (meat, don't ask what, ham, pineapple, sweet fried onions and queso plus Habanero sauce). Then spend about 15 minutes relaxing and getting my gear set up on the boat for an 8AM departure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom