Crab ID Help - San Juan, PR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeeWorld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Friends,
Using Humann Reef Creatures 1st edition, this crab most closely resembles (Portunus sayi) Sargassum Swimming Crab. But I have my doubts for a reasons including the lack of Sargassum in the area and variance of color pattern from the photo in the Humann guide.
size ~ 3" wide
depth ~ 6'
habitat: sand & sea grass
where: Playita del Condado, San Juan, PR
Please share what species you believe this is and the reasons why.
Best Fishes, T :)

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5635.JPG

I think it's a Redhair Swimming Crab Portunus ordwayi because of shape of lateral spines and large spines on the pincer "arms". Also the mottled red color, and the shallow sandy area.

Thank you. I am not finding a resource (online or text) to learn more about P. ordwayi. Do you have any suggestions? - T

Sorry. I found Redhair Swimming Crab Portunus ordwayi in H/D REEF Creatures 2nd Ed. I searched online and found only a reference in a Brazilian website (in Portugese) Scroll down though and look by scientific names. To be honest the dead specimen of Portunus ordwayi on that site's picture doesn't look much like yours or the one in the book. But look also at Portunus spinicarpus right bellow it. It could be that one also.
Here's the web site:
Biota Neotropica - Composition and abundance of the crabs (Decapoda, Brachyura) off Ubatuba and Caraguatatuba, northern coast of São Paulo, Brazil

Well .. . for what it's worth, I am convinced you are correct with Portunus ordwayi (Redhair Swimming Crab). Thanks for all of the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom