Crackdown on tour operators who feed the fish and allow divers to hold the reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't recall them ever threatening to yank permits for the minor violations do you? They should have been doing it all along.

I had no idea the reefs of Cozumel were hurting from divers damaging them, nor that there was a big problem with people feeding fish tortillas.

Your statement of "It's about time" indicates this is a big problem there, this is news to me.

More fish are fed from the shores of the resorts and more coral/life is destroyed by people snorkeling from shore than all the divers ever to dive in Cozumel since JQ in the 60's.

LoL

Yeah it is wrong, but seriously how would they ever enforce it, other than DM's actually acting like a DM and letting customers know "HEY DONT F'ing DO THAT EVER AGAIN".

I would prefer to see the DM's / dive shops handle it - cant keep your paws off, yank their park pass. But seriously what shop in their right mind would dare do that.......

I do....I have been known to jump a few idiots with cameras in hand that like to grab anything and everything..... :)

I do....I have been known to jump a few idiots with cameras in hand that like to grab anything and everything..... :)

Do you think you did any good? From what I have seen, "jumping" on other people when you have zero authority is not at all productive. Idiots jumping on idiots can be quite a circus. Yet, with a little tact, you can often help others be better divers if they are receptive and you are not too extreme. From what I have seen, "don't touch" is probably too extreme. Helping folks learn the impacts of touching and what to touch and what not to touch and how to touch when you must is often fairly effective.

I am usually very receptive to women holding my hand while diving.

More fish are fed from the shores of the resorts and more coral/life is destroyed by people snorkeling from shore than all the divers ever to dive in Cozumel since JQ in the 60's.
I don't see what harm throwing a few pieces of stale bread to the tangs and sergeant majors from shore does.

I don't see what harm throwing a few pieces of stale bread to the tangs and sergeant majors from shore does.

I guess I am cheap. Simply ACTING like you are feeding them is usually enough.

Back
Top Bottom