Cracks in Aqua Lung X - Shot fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverLux

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My new Aqua Lung X - Shot fins showed multiple cracks at the edges on both sides in the middle of the blade after only 10 dives in the Red Sea, surface temp 100, sea 85 . So far I have no response from my shop nor from Aqua Lung here on the manufacturer's forum : http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/aqua-lung/436105-recall-surelock-ii-weight-pocket-handles-3.html
Anyone here experienced the same problem ?

Cant help I'm afraid, but maybe post this over in AL forum you might get some official info. Good luck.

OP, did you ever make any headway with this issue? I've done about a dozen dives with mine in San Diego, and noticed major cracks when cleaning my gear today.

Take the fins to your AL Dealer, there has been a problem. AL will replace them but you have to go through a dealer. Take weight pockets to dealer also, they have been furnished parts to replace/upgrade handles. IMO this is why it is a good idea to deal through LDS rather than online. I'm sure LDS will remind you of this while he helps with this problem.

Take the fins to your AL Dealer, there has been a problem. AL will replace them but you have to go through a dealer. Take weight pockets to dealer also, they have been furnished parts to replace/upgrade handles. IMO this is why it is a good idea to deal through LDS rather than online. I'm sure LDS will remind you of this while he helps with this problem.

Good point. I'll have to find time to make that 45 min trek out there this week/end. I figure if this pair cracked, no reason to expect the next ones won't crack. But I suppose I can use them as backups. It would be kind of a jerk move to sell them to a stranger on Craigslist knowing that the product may be faulty. Not a lot of first-hand feedback on the net about these fins yet.

Hi,

I am sorry for this late reply, my fins were eventually replaced by the shop were I bought them, took about a month, they were not a AL dealer. This was apparently a known problem, a manufacturing defect with the first batch, my fins were manufactured by Aqua Lung's Technisub S.P.A. of Genova. Did 2 dive trips and 20 dives and so far so good. On a side note; they are not buoyant !

Hi,

I am sorry for this late reply, my fins were eventually replaced by the shop were I bought them, took about a month, they were not a AL dealer. This was apparently a known problem, a manufacturing defect with the first batch, my fins were manufactured by Aqua Lung's Technisub S.P.A. of Genova. Did 2 dive trips and 20 dives and so far so good. On a side note; they are not buoyant !

No worries, I kept meaning to come back and report my experience as well. Pretty similar to you. LDS did not seem surprised in the least to be hearing from me. Said it was a known issue and that it had been corrected.

They swapped mine out for a new pair, but that is where my story deviates. In the meantime, I bought a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro +'s from a different shop and have been diving those ever since.

My X-Shots are collecting dust as a set of backups. I live by the old adage, crack on me once, shame on you. Crack on me twice…eh nevermind.

Either way, I am pleased to hear that they are working out for you. That gives me more hope that when/if I need them, they'll be ready to perform as expected.

My AquaLung Fins are quite fine so far:) Didn't have the same problem, surprised that so many people had it...

how are these fins in general?

I'm thinking of getting some, how do they go for frog kicking? I've read a review that said they are no good for frog kicking.

thanks.

I had the cracking problem with my X-shots also. I have about 30 dives on them, and noticed cracks on both sides of each fin. I bought them through an AL dealer and they are going to replace them. However, I am concerned that the new pair will crack also.

Back
Top Bottom