Crap... I'm in a bunk, in a room of men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perhaps what you might want to consider is that you are odd man out. when it comes time to get up everyone is trying to get suited up in suits before leaving the berthing space. My advice to you would be to have more than one suit with you and wear a dry one when you go down for the night. First call you get up and leave the space and let the boys do what they need to do. Remember the first in the head is the first relieved and all others have to stand in line or jump over the side or shoot over the side. I know net doc and cavers can tell you how folks change at dive sites where there are no changing rooms and only parking lots with cars.

Awesome all, thanks for the reassurance. Hopefully I'm over analysing it.
I'm well used to be the only girl diving, changing under a towel beside the road, weeing in the bushes, and I have a reasonable ability to laugh!
I hate sleeping with ear plugs, but I guess I'll give them a try.
My friend have all told me that I'll be bunking with 28yo hotties! Ha.

I'm well used to be the only girl diving, changing under a towel beside the road, weeing in the bushes, and I have a reasonable ability to laugh!
Well now you are talking... you might be in luck....maybe they don't snore yet!!

by day 2, you'll all be friends and so tired from the awesome dive schedule and getting up for the early morning dive, that you won't notice problems so much.

Then you can always reach over and give them a shake and strike up a conversation . For medicinal purposes of course.

Having grown up with 4 brothers and then raising 3 sons I have always been in the minority. I found changing facing a wall works, you can't see them and a butt is just a butt, everyone has one. As long as everyone else is turned towards the wall all is good. I haven't done a liveaboard but have done sleeper trains in Europe. Everyone is usually overly polite I found.

I am sure they will be polite towards you, too. Sense of humour as already said above is vital.

Have a great time!

perhaps what you might want to consider is that you are odd man out. when it comes time to get up everyone is trying to get suited up in suits before leaving the berthing space. My advice to you would be to have more than one suit with you and wear a dry one when you go down for the night. First call you get up and leave the space and let the boys do what they need to do. Remember the first in the head is the first relieved and all others have to stand in line or jump over the side or shoot over the side. I know net doc and cavers can tell you how folks change at dive sites where there are no changing rooms and only parking lots with cars.

Hmm. I'm well aware that I'm the exception, but I won't be going to bed in my togs, and I certainly won't be setting my alarm 5 minutes early so that I can give the boys privacy to change freely.
I'm paying for this trip too, and I've always been partial to sleeping in the nude. Hopefully they realise this and leave early so I can walk naked to the head, picking up my string bikini that I've left hanging over the shower rail.
I'll probably cry myself to sleep each night, complain about the toilet seat being left up, and oh dear, I've got my period that week so I'll be sure to leave packets of pads and tampons everywhere.
Give me a break!!!!!

Hmm. I'm well aware that I'm the exception, but I won't be going to bed in my togs, and I certainly won't be setting my alarm 5 minutes early so that I can give the boys privacy to change freely.
I'm paying for this trip too, and I've always been partial to sleeping in the nude. Hopefully they realise this and leave early so I can walk naked to the head, picking up my string bikini that I've left hanging over the shower rail.
I'll probably cry myself to sleep each night, complain about the toilet seat being left up, and oh dear, I've got my period that week so I'll be sure to leave packets of pads and tampons everywhere.
Give me a break!!!!!

Was not suggesting any of that. I'm have no idea what togs are. Not even sure if its important to know. All I can speak to is what has happens on small live aboards I have used. Sounds like yo have it all worked out.

No idea of the layout of your boat, but it sounds like you are sharing a stateroom with en suite toilet? or is it down the passageway? I've only been out on dormitory style boats and the head was waaaay down the passage for all. Everyone male or female, pulls on something to go, if they don't wear anything to bed (uncommon on my trips, cooler climes). Changing can be done in the bunks equipped with privacy curtains, for the eyes of god and everyone in the narrow passage next to the bunks, or the tiny changing room (or I suppose, the aforementioned head). Seems to work fine whatever the mix of male & female. I've not seen or heard of any problems over many years on the boats.

Togs are NZ bathing suits. If I went to bed in all that Lycra each night, I'd end up with a nasty dose of thrush, everywhere.
You certainly suggested that I should be the one to leave rather than them, and made it seem like I needed to be overly aware of my sex.
I've been diving with blokes for years, sailing with men for even longer. It's difficult being a woman in diving anyway, heavy gear, periods, boobs that need to be strapped down, weird buoyancy, poorly fitted gear, superior air consumption...

I'm not out to bust glass ceilings, but I'll call out sexism and misogyny if I have to.
This is a women's perspective thread. Just saying.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom