CREE SSC P7 at 230 ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef_Haven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

The Cree is on the divers right hand. This is in Greece, I notice they have a very interesting fin stroke, kinda like sculling.

Thinking of getting one, since they are only $78 on DX.
Anyone have any experience with it?

Oops.
There's no Cree SSC P7, Cree and Seoul are different companies.
Cree is a company, it has many led product lines, including xre, xpe, xpg.

Seoul Semi-Conductor is another company, commonly called Seoul. They have a product line that includes the z-power leds, including the P4, the P7.

So what light did you mean?

I have one, and am pleased with it. I haven't taken it deep. It's bright as they promised and the batteries.

It took three weeks to get because DX ships from Hong Kong. They sent me emails to keep me informed.

Just understand the logistics issues with trying to return it with a problem. There is a long thread on ScubaBoard with a lot of issues. It seems the SSC P7 doesn't have the same problems as the CREE MC.

Hehe, yeah there is that, when the dealer labels it wrong.
That emitter you see in the dx pics is indeed an scc p7. CREE is a really popular / prestigious manufacturor and their name could gave gotten mis-applied for any number of reasons.

CREE is just a company name, as far as I know. Yes, like Creek, but w/o the K.

I'd recommend you look into the Ultrafire W200. Good portability with the stock 3xAA, and easily modded to take 2x 18650 instead.

Best,
Linger

I'd recommend you look into the Ultrafire W200. Good portability with the stock 3xAA, and easily modded to take 2x 18650 instead.

Best,
Linger

The W200 looks like it's only rated to 176 lumens.
I already have a couple SL4's modded with the R2 drop-in which are rated @ 220, very narrow beam throwers..

The SSC P7 rated @ 900 lumens should look nearly twice as bright as the W200 with more flood and I like that it is 3 mode.
or am I missing something?

You're correct the modded R2's have a narrower beam. (But don't go basing too much on the 220lumen guestimate)

re: rated output vs. actual output.

Those 900lumen numbers are bad advertising, a theoretical ideal that doesn't take into account reflector (%5-10) and glass transmission (%3-10 depending on AR coating) losses, emitter heat degrading efficiency (%variable), efficiency of the driver circuit (%60-90), electrical resistance battery contacts - switch - leads - driver - emitter (% variable), and lastly the actual output over time that the battery is capable of. For example, a cheap generic battery may not be able to sustain a 2amp output.

What's this mean? that many 900 lumen DX lights may come in a 400 lumens out - the - front, and this figure tails off in the first 10 minutes.

Key issue for a high continual output - excellent power supply.
If you like the modes and the beam then go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom